FORUMS: list search recent posts

Collaboration with Adobe Productions

COW Forums : Adobe Creative Cloud

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Collaboration with Adobe Productions
on Apr 14, 2020 at 1:26:07 pm

Adobe added Productions today. Your move, Apple.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Collaboration
on Apr 14, 2020 at 2:59:25 pm

I wrote about it here on the COW: Adobe Productions: New Collaboration and Productivity for Premiere Pro

A couple of things jumped out at me from Adobe's presentation:

1) Although very much intended for collaboration, there's a lot to like about Productions for individual editors, too. My favorite is the notion of cross-project referencing. An individual Production can contain bunches of projects (Adobe's customers have tested up to thousands; they haven't found any practical limitations in either the number of projects or users attached to a Production), but media files aren't copied. This keeps the sizes of individual projects small, and performance high.

Imagine a documentary that you're working on over a period of months or years. Lots of iterations, only one set of media for all of it. Or imagine that you've got a client with lots of assets. By assigning all client projects in a single Production, you get that same advantage: no need for multiple copies of say, a logo animation. It's in the Production once, and in as many projects as you want.

2) I didn't include it in my article, but I'll spill the beans about one of Oliver's questions after the presentation: ProRes RAW support is available to everyone in the beta version of Premiere Pro as of today. You can download it in the Creative Cloud app.

And don't forget: BRAW support already available for free in all Adobe apps via a download from Blackmagic Design's website.

3) Just a nerdly observation here. Adobe's Van Bedient hosted Adobe's presentation, and one thing I learned about Van when I worked with him at Avid: he's a straight shooter, very customer focused, and not at all prone to hype. A soft spoken guy, he was also a heavy hitter who wore job titles including Strategic Accounts, Director of Market Development, and Director of Enterprise Accounts. You think he might have learned a thing or three about large-scale collaborative workflows?

The point he kept (politely, but unmistakably) hammering in his presentation is that Productions is READY. He mentioned movies it's already been used on, like the latest Terminator and My Name is Dolemite, as well as currently in production on Fincher's new movie "Mank". He mentioned the shared storage vendors who've already certified this. He mentioned cloud partners who've been working with it. He used words like battle-tested, and I'll say it again because he did, READY.

You can take that for what it's worth. With a customer base as large as Premiere's, and as prone to breaking stuff as you lot are, I have no doubt that you'll be poking holes in it soon enough, but I've been watching Adobe presentations since the early 90s, and I don't recall ever hearing the word "ready" a single time in nearly 30 years. Before I heard Van saying it, a LOT.

Again, just a nerdly observation, but I definitely observed it.

So, yeah, let the games begin!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 16, 2020 at 8:01:38 pm

A lot of good info in one of today's Adobe Livestream. Both about how a YouTube-based production company works with content (think of them as a new type of "broadcaster"), but also how they've been using Productions. They were in beta before it was released.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Apr 17, 2020 at 4:08:54 pm

Enjoyed watching this portrait of a "next gen" production company using "next gen" collaborative tools.

But... I hope everyone realizes that AVID achieved this kind of functionality DECADES ago. It's why large, shared storage
workgroups have stayed on AVID and their Nexis storage.

From the presentation: "We don't need to duplicate files anymore!" Duh! This only acknowledges how lame the process was before!

Don't get me wrong. It appears that "productions" has finally delivered on the promise of a legit shared storage collaborative workflow, but I find it amusing when ADOBE presents it as such an innovation. An "innovation" that many have been using on other platforms for years.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 17, 2020 at 5:31:30 pm

[Mark Raudonis] "but I find it amusing when ADOBE presents it as such an innovation. An "innovation" that many have been using on other platforms for years."

Actually, I don't think so. Only Avid managed to nail this years ago. I'm not aware of others.

[Mark Raudonis] " It's why large, shared storage workgroups have stayed on AVID and their Nexis storage."

That's the big difference. You can use any storage and don't need to cost of Nexis to make it work. Also something like Team Projects (cloud-hosted shared project files) works with After Effects.

But yes, in concept, Productions turns Premiere Pro project files into the equivalent of Avid bins.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Greg Leslie
on Apr 17, 2020 at 2:44:41 pm

I'm encouraged by this, but curious how versioning will behave when Premiere hits one of its many updates: will we have to go in and update each project in a Production individually, or will opening a Production in the new version take care of that for us?

Return to posts index

Todd Reeder
on Apr 17, 2020 at 6:34:34 pm
Last Edited By Todd Reeder on Apr 17, 2020 at 6:39:22 pm

Greg, When you open a production in a newer version, PPro will see that the version is outdated and offer to make a copy of the production and will auto version every project inside. That way no cross project links or anything else will get broken.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]