FORUMS: list search recent posts

Small Video Production PEG channel needs storage and backup solution

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon DeLeon
Small Video Production PEG channel needs storage and backup solution
on Jul 10, 2019 at 1:14:53 am

Hi everyone,

I work for a non-profit PEG (Public, Education, Government) channel in Novato, CA, and we need a better storage and backup solution!

Current Setup

3x 2017 retina iMacs with Final Cut Pro.
Each iMac has its own 2-drive, 6TB G RAID as a scratch drive, and we have a 4-drive WD MyCloud NAS someone bought a long time ago. It's slow and I want to get rid of it.
We will be using a lot more 4k footage soon, so keeping that in mind for storage.
On a shared LAN with the building owner and don't have access to network configurations.

Thinking of...

I've read a lot of these forums, and I'm glad to see that QNAP has been recommended quite a bit, as that's what I was looking to use. For those reading this, especially Bob Zelin, whose advice so far has been extremely helpful, would you recommend the QNAP TVS-872XT-16G for us? Is it overkill for only 3 editors? I'd like to have the option to expand to additional editors at some point, but need to be budget conscious of course. I've read Alex Martinelli's post here, and a lot of the same applies to us. I'm thinking of going with the same setup Bob suggested there, but just wondering if I should go with a different QNAP model. I'd like to have our FCP libraries and assets centralized, but then do I just scrap the current G RAIDS? What would be your workflow in this case? Maybe just autosave the project files to the G RAIDS just in case?

Also, how do you guys feel about using Backblaze and their B2 storage as a backup and archival solution with the QNAP?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jon

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Small Video Production PEG channel needs storage and backup solution
on Jul 10, 2019 at 10:56:47 pm

the TVS-872XT-16G is an excellent product. It's $1799, plus drives. Don't forget to get a small switch, like a
QNAP QSW-1208-8C, and 10G adaptors for your computers.

This is an excellent choice.
The QNAP can auto sync to Blackblaze B2, Google Drive, DropBox, Amazon AWS, and others. Just remember, that you are at the mercy of your internet upload speed, so don't be expecting to backup 50 TB to any cloud service.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Jon DeLeon
on Jul 14, 2019 at 11:15:34 pm

Awesome. Thanks so much for your quick response, Bob. This site has been so helpful!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 16, 2019 at 1:11:38 am

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Jon DeLeon
on Jul 16, 2019 at 7:37:42 pm

Omg, Bob, this is perfect! Totally sold on this NAS. Would you recommend adding the SSD's? What about a second 10GB ethernet port to the expansion slot? With only three editors would this be overkill?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 17, 2019 at 12:39:33 am

sure Jon -
get a LAN-10G2T-X550 card, and you will add two 10G ports. Or you can simply just buy a small 10G switch like the QNAP QSW-1208-8C.

If you need help, just let me know.
Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

David Bhulapatna
on Jul 18, 2019 at 11:58:03 am

Hi there,

Hope this is not a stupid question, but is it possible to connect mixed DEvices like 2 Pc´s and 1 Mac and use it simultaniously ? e.g. all three Thunderbolt ports ? Or is there any protocol issues ?

best
David

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 18, 2019 at 1:32:56 pm

not a stupid question at all.
But you are not being clear.
You have TWO Win 10 PC's, and one Mac - all with thunderbolt.
You want to connect ALL of this to a single storage system - can you do it ? Is that your question ?

Well, you can't plug all three devices into a G-Tech or Promise Thunderbolt drive (daisy chain the thunderbolt ports to one storage device). BUT you CAN connect all three (both Mac and PC at the same time) to a network attached storage box like a QNAP TVS-1282T3, and do exactly what you want. And if you decide to splurge and spend an extra $200 per computer for thunderbolt to 10G adaptor, then you can have a lot more than only 3 computers share the same storage media at the same time, by simply using an inexpensive 10G switch.

If I did not answer your question, please write back.
Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

David Bhulapatna
on Jul 19, 2019 at 7:04:00 am

Thank you Bob,

that is exactly, what I want to do. Connect 2 Win10 Computers and 1 Mac. Our Network infrastructure just holds up to 1gbit and as we are mainly two or three people in need of a shared storage, the idea was to connect them directly.
Using a 10G switch would be another option, as we don´t have thunderbolt connections for all computers yet. (MacPro....)
So here another question from the greedy section... how fast can it read the same file when using two different computers ? Can you not only use it as storage but as an external drive for 1080P ?

best
David

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 19, 2019 at 12:28:08 pm

if you get a small QNAP, like a TVS-872XT, and a small switch like a QNAP QSW-1208-8C, you will be able to do not only 1080p but 4K from all of your clients, ALL at the same time, all reading the same media. That is what shared storage is about.

You are not going to use your current network infrastructure. You are creating a new dedicated 10G network (after all, it's only 3 computers, and the QNAP is tiny, and can fit under your desk).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]