FORUMS: list search recent posts

Backing up with Synology (Active Backup vs Macrium)

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tem Nask
Backing up with Synology (Active Backup vs Macrium)
on Jun 25, 2019 at 8:39:53 am

Hello,
I'm trying to figure out the best approach to backing up my system on a Synology NAS. While a few users on different websites suggested using Synology's Active Backup for Business, a user on the Synology forums suggested using Macrium Reflect instead.

Anyone knows the difference between the two?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Backing up with Synology (Active Backup vs Macrium)
on Jun 25, 2019 at 2:01:42 pm

Hello Tem -
I am assuming you are a video user, with Terabytes of data, and not using the Synology for accounting data.
Even on a 10G network, it takes between 60 - 90 minutes to backup 1TB of data. On a 1G network, it would be 10 times slower. So over the internet to a cloud site, it's painfully slow (and almost impossible). I don't care if Synology's active backup is free with unlimited space. You are at the mercy of your internet connection.
And even if you purchase a second Synology, you are at the mercy of duplicating the amount of drive space that you have now. So if you have 80 TB of drive space, you need 80 TB of drive space to back this up. The drives will cost more than the Synology (or the QNAP).
There is no free lunch.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Tem Nask
Re: Backing up with Synology (Active Backup vs Macrium)
on Jun 25, 2019 at 6:16:05 pm

I'm just using Synology for home use. I have a few computers I want to back up because I had a hard drive failure recently. I estimate total used space across all systems to be around 4TB. I managed to backup over 1TB of one of my systems. But I have no idea how long it took since I left it to do the job and came back hours later to find it complete. The thing is, the back up I did was of an additional drive, not the boot "C" drive, and to do that, I used Synology Drive which does not back up "C" drive. So, since Drive does not back up the boot drive, I posted to know what's the "best" method to back the boot drive up. Of course "best" is subjective, but perhaps I should've mentioned that speed is not an issue for me. Slow backups are fine. I'm more interested in reliability, safety against attacks, and flexibility (features and funtions).

Thanks in advance for any provided help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]