FORUMS: list search recent posts

Qnap Speeds

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brennan McBride
Qnap Speeds
on Jun 14, 2019 at 3:25:15 pm

Hello All,

I recently upgraded my qnap from a 4 bay to an 8 bay. I have (8) 6TB ironwolf 7200 drives formatted Raid-5 as one large volume. I am directly connected to my Mac trashcan via a sanlink2 10GBoE thunderbolt 2 connector to the 10GBoE connector on the Qnap. Things work great, but for some reason I feel that I should be getting better stats on Read/Writes. Currently I get about 400MB/s and 900MBs Read/Write. The thing that gives me pause is that I had the same speed with the 4 bay. I thought I would get a bit of a bump. I have tried both smb and afp and both do roughly the same speeds, give or take 50MBs. I have jumbo frames and am basing my metrics on BM speed disk and AJA speed test as well. My question for the collective is does this sound about right or should I be getting a higher throughput?

TIA,
Brennan

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Qnap Speeds
on Jun 14, 2019 at 3:53:55 pm

by adding more drives, you have increased the total aggregate bandwidth of your QNAP.
A 10G connection theoretical bandwidth is 1250 MB/sec, and I have never seen more than about 1000 MB/sec, even with a Win 10 PC and a 10G NIC card.

Different computers, and different 10G boxes have different speeds. 900 MB/sec is plenty of speed. Now, if you have multiple editors connecting to your QNAP, your system will not be bogged down because you only have 4 drives, which had limited total aggregate bandwidth.

Make sure you have disabled SMB signing -
you can tell this by looking at the /etc/nsmb.conf file in your Mac.
you should see this inside the file
[default]
signing_required=no

if you don't, this needs to be installed, and your computer rebooted.

For your sanity, try another thunderbolt 2 computer with your 10G adaptor, and see what the speeds are like.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Brennan McBride
on Jun 14, 2019 at 4:04:26 pm

Thanks Bob...and as I re-read my original post, I realized I transposed Read/Write. I get about 900MBs on a read and around 450MBs or a write. Is it normal to get half the speed on a write? Is that a function of the Raid-5?

Thanks,
Brennan

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 14, 2019 at 6:31:58 pm

I have seen this - but I want to repeat that you will get different performance on different computers.
Don't you have access to another computer that you can test with ?

I am not going to start blaming the QNAP if it's just your computer. Just this morning, I had a client complaining -
he has multiple computers (both Win 10 and Mac's) on a QNAP TVS-1282T3 with the latest firmware. All 10G, all going thru a Netgear XS712T. All the computers (assorted 10G adaptors or NIC cards) were doing over 800 MB/sec, but ONE iMac was doing only about 300 MB/sec. Why - I have no idea - we tried a different port on the switch, and still only 300 MB/sec. (this was a Sonnet Twin 10G on a T2 iMac running macOS 10.14). Unless he was willing to reinstall the macOS and start all over, I cannot tell you why this ONE computer was running less than half the speed of all his other 10G computers on the same QNAP, using the same switch.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Brennan McBride
on Jun 14, 2019 at 6:40:50 pm

Thanks for the response Bob. I will try with another computer. But I guess my question was more the discrepancies between the read and the write. Is it typical in a Raid-5 configuration to have write speeds in the 400s and the reads in the 900s? I can certainly live with the reads in the 900s, just trying to figure out if the write is typical.

thanks again,
Brennan

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 15, 2019 at 6:04:44 pm

Hi -
I am writing to you on Saturday June 15th. I just finished doing a new QNAP TVS-872XT - 16G with
Seagate 7200 RPM 6TB SATA drives. I logged into my client in London. The host computer that I used to do the
setup was a 6,1 Mac Pro running macOS 10.14.x. The Thunderbolt 2 10G adaptor was a Promise SanLink2.

After the build I ran AJA System Test - 800 MB/sec READ, 475 MB/sec WRITE. So yes, these speeds are consistant with what you are getting. The QNAP was setup as a single static RAID volume (RAID 6). With a 12 bay TS-1685, I will typically see 800 - 900 MB/sec read and write.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]