FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick temporary shared storage for Assistant Editor

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Brock
Quick temporary shared storage for Assistant Editor
on May 14, 2019 at 8:46:25 pm

So I'm looking into setting up a 10Gbe QNAP NAS solution in about 3-6 months. In the meantime, I've transitioning from being a solo editor to using an assistant editor for cutting together sequences and a bit of after effects work as well. As a quick fix, I think I need to have some sort of p2p 10Gig or simple switch setup so he can access all the data directly on my workstation without the need for shuttling drives back and forth. We're both in the same office room and both on PC's. I'd prefer if he could just work right off my internal hdd's but doing a transfer is fine too I guess if that's the only way to keep it cheap and simple.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Quick temporary shared storage for Assistant Editor
on May 14, 2019 at 9:56:20 pm

yes sir -
it will not work.
If you setup your Mac # 1 as the "server" with "File Sharing" for the drive, you can get Mac # 2 to access it.
The minute you have Mac # 1 start to use that same drive, everything will lock up.
This has been the case before 2008, before I started doing Mac servers (when Mac servers worked).
When Mac servers actually worked, you would get SOME dedicated Mac (like a Mac mini) - and some small switch, and some drive connected to the dedicated Mac mini - and your two computers would connect to that switch to access the drive that is connected to the Mac mini.

SO - how do you do this with just the 2 computers, where they both access the same drive -
simple answer - you don't.

A QNAP TVS-872XT is $1899. Of course, you have to add 8 matching drives. That is the cheapest way you are going to pull this off. Buying a Mac mini and a dedicated thunderbolt array like a Promise R8 and a Sonnet Twin 10G or Promise SanLink2 will cost you more than the QNAP.

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Brock
on May 14, 2019 at 10:35:59 pm

Sorry actually both are PC's, running Windows 10. I should have made that more clear.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 15, 2019 at 3:40:28 pm

same principal - it still won't work.

If you have a dedicated PC as the file server, and a 2 port NIC card in the dedicated server, then you can get
the 2 PC's to connect to the dedicated server, and share the same media drive.

If one of those 2 PC's is ALSO the server, this simply will not work. Everything will lock up.

That is why cheap QNAP and Synology products have become popular.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Brock
on May 15, 2019 at 9:00:12 pm

Yea I can understand that it certainly won't work *well* to try and use the same HDD simultaneously on both the host and secondary workstation. Shame to hear though that it simply locks up. I wonder if maybe its still okay to just use it as a quicker means of migrating assets as opposed to portable drives (aka "sneaker net"). Rarely are we actually cutting simultaneously, it's usually me working in the morning on finishing (color, revisions, titles, effects) then my assistant coming over in the afternoon to do assemblies, organization, labeling, while I work on emails and phone calls.

I already plan on purchasing a shared QNAP NAS later this year and using that over 10gbe, just thought I could split up the investment, first purchasing NIC's for each machine and some cabling, then later installing the "proper" NAS.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 16, 2019 at 1:35:28 pm

I have a simple answer for you. If you are doing emails and phone calls in the afternoon - then let the assistant use your computer ! Problem solved.
As for "split up the investment" - if you are on Win PC's, you are simply purchasing two QNAP QXG-10G1T cards and a single ethernet Cat 6 cable, and enabling file sharing. That is $89 per card and a $12 cable. That is not splitting up the investment. That is one nice evening out. The purchase of any shared storage system and eight drives will cost dramatically more than this.
Many people suffer with "sneaker net" for years before buying shared storage. I suggest that you do the same until you can afford the NAS.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Brock
on May 16, 2019 at 3:54:58 pm

Alright I think I'm starting to really grasp what you're getting at.

I think doing the p2p 10gbe is still a nice and affordable way of doing a more streamlined sneaker net, not trying to work off each other's machine but rather just using it for quick direct file migration.

But yea, We'll likely be jumping for the TVS-472XT asap. It's just nice to know I'm already getting compatible NIC cards and cabling in place for phase 2.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]