FORUMS: list search recent posts

10 GBe config

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Alexander
10 GBe config
on Mar 9, 2020 at 5:07:51 pm

We have recently added a 10 GBe network in the station. Results have been less than anticipated as the 8 Gb fiber network which was retired was significantly faster.

I seem to recall (maybe?) a comment on this board that having any 1 gig hardware anywhere on the same network will bring the rest of the system performance down. Is there anything to that? We have three graphics folks connected via a standard 1 gig switch and NICs. They are off on a shared 1 gig switch attached to the Netgear XS728T 10 gig swith for the editors.

Many thanks.
Don Alexander

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: 10 GBe config
on Mar 9, 2020 at 5:46:47 pm

you are not describing your system, so I cannot help you with this, Don.
You have an XS728T. What is your server ? How many drives in your server ?
What are the 10G client computers - Thunderbolt 2 Mac, Thunderbolt 3 Mac, Win 10 PC ? New 2019 Mac Pro ? Exactly what 10G adapters are you using ? Sonnet, Promise, CalDigit, OWC, QNAP, ATTO ?

Yes, all of this stuff makes a huge difference. If you have at least an 8 bay shared storage system with a 10G port in it, you should be getting at least 800 MB/sec (unless you have a Sonnet Solo 10G T2, which is only 400 MB/sec).

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Don Alexander
on Mar 9, 2020 at 7:34:26 pm

Thanks for your response. I was obviously ill prepared in my asking.

Mr. Coopers response on this thread, β€œThe existence of 1G on your network will not negotiate 10G connections down.” kinda shot down my hopes for an easy solution.

We converted the station from a couple SANs with a combined storage of 100 Tb to an Editshare system with a storage capacity of approximately 75 TB. Currently we are at 53% full. Editshare support has been less than confidence inspiring on what appears to us to be a configuration issue. To be fair, it may be outside of their box and therefore responsibility.

The Editshare system is connected directly to the XS728 T via CAT 6A cabling. As for the number of drives, I see 16 active drive bays. Each Editshare box is using two ports on the box as well as the switch.

We have nine Win 10 editing PCs connected directly to the switch, also with CAT 6A cabling. Each PC has an AQtion-107-12A-SBA 10GBase-T NIC.

As mentioned, we also have a couple lower-power users and techs separated out via some general Netgear 1 Gbe switches.

I'll ask to have a transfer speed test done. But we also see a lot of temporary freeze/lock-up happening while editing.

Regards,
Don Alexander

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 9, 2020 at 8:29:18 pm

replies below -

We converted the station from a couple SANs with a combined storage of 100 Tb to an Editshare system with a storage capacity of approximately 75 TB. Currently we are at 53% full. Editshare support has been less than confidence inspiring on what appears to us to be a configuration issue. To be fair, it may be outside of their box and therefore responsibility.

The Editshare system is connected directly to the XS728 T via CAT 6A cabling. As for the number of drives, I see 16 active drive bays. Each Editshare box is using two ports on the box as well as the switch.

REPLY - Editshare makes an excellent product. I use the Netgear XS728T all the time. The two ports on the Editshare are link aggregated to the 2 ports on the Netgear XS728T. I assume that this has been set on both the Editshare and the Netgear XS728T for LACP which is a setting in the LAG menu on the switch. A 16 bay with all 16 drives means that you will have plenty of speed.

We have nine Win 10 editing PCs connected directly to the switch, also with CAT 6A cabling. Each PC has an AQtion-107-12A-SBA 10GBase-T NIC.

REPLY - The Aquantia cards (now owned by Marvell) are excellent cards. The AQC-107 is the same chip that is in the iMac Pro and 2019 Mac Pro. You should be seeing about 900 - 1000 MB/sec provided that your Aquantia card is in a x4 lane PCIe slot or greater on your Win 10 PC's. If you are in a x1 lane slot, you will get crappy speeds.

SO - what are your speeds ? I assume that you know, since you compared it to an 8G fiber channel system in your original post. How many MB/sec are you getting. What does AJA System Test or Blackmagic Disk Speed Test report ?

As mentioned, we also have a couple lower-power users and techs separated out via some general Netgear 1 Gbe switches.

REPLY - there is no problem putting 1G clients on the XS728T switch.

I'll ask to have a transfer speed test done. But we also see a lot of temporary freeze/lock-up happening while editing.

REPLY - I am not sure of what editing software you are using. If you are using Adobe Premiere, you should make sure that your Media Cache folders are empty, as if they are filled with crap, you will get stuttering playback, even on the best system.

This is my suggestion - I don't know if you are qualified to do this, or if you will need assistance from Editshare to do this (or if you have an Editshare contractor like Yates Parks in NY City).
This is what I would do -
bypass the switch. Delete the LAG from the EditShare, and plug in one of your computers with a 10G connection directly to the Editshare (if you have SFP+ on the Editshare and 10GbaseT Cat 6 on your Aquantia card, this will be impossible for you to do - I am hoping that you have 10Gbase-T ports on the Editshare). So you plug it in directly to the computer, mount the drive, and do a speed test . Is it faster ? Do you get around 900 MB/sec ? That will tell us if the problem is the EditShare or the XS728T switch.

I recently worked on a system, where the problem was the switch. I did a firmware update on the XS728T switch, and a factory default reset, and everything started to work. All the speeds came back up.

Everything in line is a variable.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Cooper
on Mar 9, 2020 at 8:50:48 pm
Last Edited By Nathaniel Cooper on Mar 9, 2020 at 8:56:06 pm

It's far from conclusive, but the Aquantia NICs are what concern me. We (ProMAX) have had a ton of trouble with those. It's the same hardware chip that Bob mentioned in the Sonnet Solo and not to expect beyond 400MB/s. We have seen WILD swings in performance on the Aquantia NICs (like 500MB/s on NIC "A" and 150MB/s on NIC "B" with all other factors the same).

We've had great experience on the windows side with Chelsio NICs, you may want to try ordering 1 as a comparison.

I'd also escalate your case with EditShare. They are a solid product with a solid team, but I'm pretty sure if you tell them you're getting help from Bob Z & ProMAX on creative cow, you'll get their top guy/gal πŸ˜‰

Good luck!

Nathaniel Cooper
ProMAX Systems

Return to posts index

Nathaniel Cooper
on Mar 9, 2020 at 5:47:25 pm

Hey Don,

The existence of 1G on your network will not negotiate 10G connections down. It is possible if you've created 2 separate ethernet paths to the storage, that your workstation will choose the slower path.

Your switch model is helpful, but what are the 10G NICs you're using on the workstation side, and what is the storage & drives? Also, when you say 'less-than-anticipated' is that more like 50MB/s or 500MB/s?

If you're concerned that you're running at 1G on those connects, you can run the Blackmagic Disk Speed test, if you're getting over 150MB/s you're connecting over 10G. Unfortunately I have seen a lot of inconsistent performance from lower end 10G NICs (including the NICs on iMac Pros). To really push in the 800MB/s range on 10G I've only seen that consistently on higher end external NICs.

As example sonnet has a bus powered TB to 10G for $200, but they also sell a higher end TB to 10G in the $600 range. We have seen much better results with the higher end NICs.

Nathaniel Cooper
ProMAX Systems

Return to posts index

Don Alexander
on Mar 9, 2020 at 7:35:52 pm

Thank you sir. Your first sentence shot down my theory in search of a quick solution.

Regards,
Don Alexander

Return to posts index

Loring Weinkauf
on Mar 11, 2020 at 7:19:54 pm

Just throwing my 2 cents in here, but this all sounds suspiciously like an MTU mismatch.

Generally speaking, all devices (workstations, servers, switches, printers, etc.) connected to a given network should have the same MTU setting. In almost all cases this is going to be either 1500MTU - OR - 9000MTU.

Loring Weinkauf
Studio Network Solutions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]