FORUMS: list search recent posts

10G and Synology

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santiago
10G and Synology
on Feb 25, 2020 at 9:05:59 pm

We are considering upgrading our network connection to our Synology RS2416+ NAS.
With the NAS being 1GbE, is there an advantage to moving up to 10G?
We are still dealing with some minor Catalina issues but with new Macs coming in we are just getting our ducks in a row.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: 10G and Synology
on Feb 26, 2020 at 10:45:40 pm

Why 10G ? Bandwidth. Your 1G network can only do about 100 MB/sec per client. A 10G network will be able to do 800 - 900 MB/sec per client. So you won't get stuttering with 4K and 8K playback.
You should have a dedicated 10G switch.

If you are relying on your IT department, instead of some moron like me, it will be a mess.
I don't even see the RS2416+ being sold anymore. Where are you getting this from.
The current model is the RS3617xs+, or the RS4017xs+

I just saw that the NON enterprise series is now the RS2418+. You are showing me old model numbers.

Why don't you contact me. I actually do this for a living -
Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: 10G and Synology
on Feb 28, 2020 at 9:36:13 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Why 10G ? Bandwidth. Your 1G network can only do about 100 MB/sec per client. A 10G network will be able to do 800 - 900 MB/sec per client. So you won't get stuttering with 4K and 8K playback.
I'm sold on getting the 10G. However, we don't do video over network here. Just Motion Design (file referencing and Graphics. All video related projects are local to the studio.
I will forward this to my manager as far as what the benefits are.

If you are relying on your IT department, instead of some moron like me, it will be a mess.
That's the problem. My day job is at a Lottery and Liquor run by the Provincial Government.
The Macs on its own, I am allowed to have control with. But anything to do with using their 1G network is iffy. All I know is that in my office we are connected 1G to a COMM room them from that COMM room to another one across the street (where our NAS resides and studio) its 10G.
I can only open up dialogue and hopefully, they will listen.

I don't even see the RS2416+ being sold anymore. Where are you getting this from.
The current model is the RS3617xs+, or the RS4017xs+"

We have the RS216+ NAS. It's loaded with 24TB and 1TB of Cache.
Runs great, when we don't have issues.
It will be a few years before we can upgrade that ☹

Thanks, Bob for your offer, it's a little ass-backward here sorry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]