FORUMS: list search recent posts

Qnap 872XT and drives

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kief Davidson
Qnap 872XT and drives
on Feb 20, 2020 at 12:12:29 am

Hi,
A few quick questions if you don't mind....
1- I am looking to buy the qnap tvs 872xt mainly for 2-3 stations to share Avid storage. Is buying extra Ram from 16 to 32GB necessary or really needed? Also - any news on an upgrade to this unit soon?
2- And what about adding an internal ssd module. Do I need the extra speed?
3- Looking at Seagate drives- Exos or Ironwolf. Is there a preferred?

Thank you.
Kief.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Qnap 872XT and drives
on Feb 20, 2020 at 7:06:32 pm

1- I am looking to buy the qnap tvs 872xt mainly for 2-3 stations to share Avid storage. Is buying extra Ram from 16 to 32GB necessary or really needed?

REPLY - the TVS-872XT is an excellent product. You only need 16 Gig of RAM. Because you are running AVID Media Composer, you will need to purchase an Indiestor Mimiq license for each computer that will run Media Composer. This will give you full AVID Bin Locking, just like AVID Nexis. Can you get away from not buying Mimiq - NO. You must buy Mimiq licenses.

Also - any news on an upgrade to this unit soon?

REPLY - the TVS-872XT is a new unit, introduced in 2019. There is no "update". QNAP has regular firmware update about every 30 days.

2- And what about adding an internal ssd module. Do I need the extra speed?

REPLY - no, this will not help for video editing.

3- Looking at Seagate drives- Exos or Ironwolf. Is there a preferred?

REPLY - they both work perfectly, and are both approved by QNAP. Just make sure you are using 7200 RPM drives, and not 5900 RPM drives.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Kief Davidson
on Feb 20, 2020 at 7:20:28 pm

Thank you Bob.
I was also considering a second unit for camera masters, as it is comparatively inexpensive device. Do you think that would be overkill to buy one these units for camera masters? I like that they seem to be easily removable drive bays.

So 1st unit would be Raid 6, all drives filled for shared storage.
2nd unit, either Raid 5 or 6 for camera masters.

Thank you so much!!!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 21, 2020 at 3:31:43 pm

you do not want to remove the drives from ANY RAID array. This is not a removable storage device. You create the RAID and you leave it alone. If a drive fails, you can pull it out with power on (that is why they call it hot swappable), put in the replacment, and it will auto rebuild, and you can keep working while this is all happening. This is not a "dock" where you can pop drives in and out.

You can use the second QNAP as a backup system to the main QNAP, and use QNAP's free HBS3 to backup from one QNAP to the other QNAP.

bobzelin@icloud.com

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Kief Davidson
on Feb 23, 2020 at 5:30:55 pm

Thank you Bob.
One final question. If transcoding to proxies - Avid DNX36 (or the next step up) how many edit systems can run comfortably on this 8 drive system - assuming we have the proper 10g switch you have mentioned in other posts. I don't foresee more than 3 or 4 systems attached to this - at most.

I am assuming the 16 bay TS 1685, will get you a lot more edit systems on it.

Will let you know when we pull trigger on this for set up.

thx/

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 24, 2020 at 12:51:56 am

If you have 3 - 4 edit systems, I urge to to purchase a Netgear XS708T 10G switch for this.
You can easily have all 4 edit systems not only doing DNxHD36, but DNxHD145, 220, and higher as well. 4K will be no issue for you.

None of this will work if you do not purchase 3 - 4 licenses of Indiestor Mimiq - one for each Media Composer workstation. They are about $250 each, and no , there is no work around to avoid this.
Contact at Indiestor is
alex@indiestor.com

If you need 10G adapters for your computers, for a Thunderbolt 3 computer, get the QNAP QNA-T310G1T (About $180). For Thunderbolt 2 computers, get the Sonnet Solo 10G T2.
For Win PC's, get the QNAP QXG-10G1T ($89). iMac Pros, new Mac Pro's, and 2018 Mac Minis have built in 10G ports. Everything else needs the adapters.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]