FORUMS: list search recent posts

nas backup questions

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bob palmer
nas backup questions
on Jan 2, 2020 at 5:59:26 pm

i'm thinking about setting up a network type backup for my 2 pc's. i have a network system with a gigabit network switch now, and at this time i have 2 usb hard drives 1 for each pc. but i was on the netgear forums and over there they are telling me to get a nas system going.

i tried to plug 5 thumb sticks into my netgear modem and that modem ruined them. they became unreadable when i plugged them into the pc. and i just could not recover them. and i tried to plug the usb drives into it and that modem would not see them. it turns out the netgear c3700 modem only can work on a few backup devices, and i don't have them. so the netgear forum told me to setup a nas system. but i have no idea yet how to set one up, and i do not want to set one up on wifi as that is slow and most likely not secure. but using the cat cable on my gigabit switch will be much faster, maybe even faster than the usb drives.

so what nas devices are really made for the home? i don't really need one that has 3 or 4 drive in it. i understand they have the ability to tell you when they have issues to fix.

i was looking on ebay and came across a 1 drive nas unit the NAS intelligent network storage device, it has the cat5 plug a 2 and 3 usb port and wifi. i figure if i leave off the antenna it will disable the wifi for security reasons. and i figure a strong username and password will protect it from hackers. along with the help the modem offers.

thanks.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: nas backup questions
on Jan 3, 2020 at 5:27:36 pm

I know Western Digital has a network connected drive that can be used as a backup on a network and Buffalo has been around for years with network connected drives for backing up etc. Synology has a few options.

The other option is to just buy two inexpensive USB attached drives and connect one to each PC and just do a simple backup each night. This is probably simpler than a network option and it gets the job done. It also provides a singe backup for each PC making it simpler to manage if you need to restore.

A true NAS used just for backups seems overkill since it's main purpose is to share files to multiple users at the same time.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]