FORUMS: list search recent posts

Small Switch Recommendations

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Brock
Small Switch Recommendations
on Dec 27, 2019 at 9:04:46 pm

I just ordered a QNAP TVS-872XT for my first real 4K editing NAS for myself and my Assistant Editor plus Client workstation... Horay for me! (Looking for Bob Zelin's blessing!!)

Now the switch...should I just grab a QNAP QSW-1208-8C and be done with it? I don't think I need any heavy network management tools, this is a mom-and-pop operation. I currently have a little trusty 1gbe Ubiquiti Edge 10X, which I love, for wireless AP, smartthings automation hub and hardline internet access. Should I then add Ubiquiti's 10gbe equivalent ($670) to my rack then to keep management cohesive? I'm assuming it's all compatible anyway...

Lastly, should I ditch my 1gbe switch and just move everything to the new 10gbe switch or keep internet access, smart hub separate from my 10gbe network?

Would love everyone's thoughts and experiences...

Return to posts index

Stephen Brock
Re: Small Switch Recommendations
on Dec 28, 2019 at 10:33:40 pm

So I actually just stumbled on this thread:
https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?t=150329

Looks like the Netgear XS708T may be the most tried and true method best suited for my needs.
So the remaining question: Do I need a separate gigabit network or just put on everything on the same 10gig network?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 28, 2019 at 10:38:49 pm

yes, the XS708T is the most tried and true. And it's just a few dollars more.
And yes, you need to keep your wonderful Ubiquiti 1G switch. We are setting up 2 networks -
A 1G network, and an isolated 10G network.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 28, 2019 at 10:37:34 pm

I am not a fan of the QSW-1208-8C only because I cannot monitor it over the internet. This is not a managed switch, or can it do LACP Link Aggregation. Currently the Netgear XS708T on Amazon is
$619. With that said, the QSW-1208-8C will work perfectly fine for you, certainly in a small enviornment.

You keep TWO networks going. This switch is not for the internet. You have a very nice
Ubiquiti Edge 10X. That is great for your house internet and reliable WiFi. That will plug into one of the two 1G ethernet ports on your TVS-872XT (if you want remote access to the QNAP, and sync to Google Drive, Drop Box, etc.). The single 10G port on the TVS-872XT (ethernet port 1) will go to your 10G switch, and your 2 client computers will connect to this switch as well, via 10G.

Easy, and reliable. Don't forget the 10G adaptors for your edit workstations !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Brock
on Dec 28, 2019 at 11:07:52 pm

Thanks Bob!

Return to posts index

Stephen Brock
on Jan 13, 2020 at 10:42:08 pm

Whelp it's all assembled and cable routing and management is...well, it's in there. ☺

I'm using 8x 7200rpm HGST 6TB drives in RAID6, plus 2x 500gb NVME for a 1tb read-only cache. Everything is going through a Netgear XS708T over Cat6A, about a 100ft run for each PC/Win10 workstation with QNAP 10gbe NICs.

On Workstation A, I'm getting a pretty respectable 850MB/s write and 1,100MB/s read. But Workstation B is closer to 250MB/s write and 375MB/s read. What gives? Both workstations are pretty identical builds and are using the same cables, etc... What's the troubleshooting process here?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 14, 2020 at 1:26:20 am

you do not say what your computers are, or what operating systems they are running.
Did you disable SMB signing on both ?
Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Brock
on Jan 14, 2020 at 4:58:12 pm

They're both Windows 10 PC's. And yes, SMB signing is disabled on both as far as I'm aware. I just went to windows features and made sure smb 1.0/cifs file sharing support and smb direct were both unchecked.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 14, 2020 at 7:26:21 pm

same motherboard?

you need to be in a x4 PCIe slot for the 10G card in the Win 10 PC's.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Brock
on Jan 20, 2020 at 4:59:09 pm

Wow...Yup, that was it... *facepalm*

Thanks a million. Getting about 800~950MB/s on both machines now. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 20, 2020 at 5:14:07 pm

who do you love ?

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Stephen Brock