FORUMS: list search recent posts

I´m incorporating a new temporary editor. NAS vs ethernet pc to pc. What´s the best option?

COW Forums : NAS - Network Attached Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emil Chichet
I´m incorporating a new temporary editor. NAS vs ethernet pc to pc. What´s the best option?
on Nov 3, 2019 at 12:08:55 am

Hi everyone,

I´ve been working alone since i was hired for a huge proyect and i decided to incorporate a new editor only for 2 months to finish it on time. So now i´m looking for the best option to have a good editing team workflow, sharing files and proyects.
Basically, I used to have all my files (including Premiere projects) in an external hdd via usb 3.0. Everything was fine while i worked alone.

Now that i´m incoporating a new partner and she has other pc (PC 2). So since we will be changing projects all the time, I want her to access the projects IN THE SAME folder that me (not duplicating files from one pc to another), so Premiere doesn´t need to reubicate the clips every single time that we open the project in the other pc.

Because of that, i have been investigating and i´ve found that a NAS will be the best option, but since it´s only a temporary situation, i´m looking for cheaper way to resolve this.
What do you think about conecting both PCs to a switch 1 gigabit, like the TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit TL-SG1005P?
- PC 1 have Intel® I219V, 1 x Gigabit and PC 2 it´s an older pc (so maybe doesn´t support 1 gigabit), but i looking to resolve this with an TP-Link USB 3.0 Portable USB Hub 1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (UE330).

So then i share the external hdd in the network and PC2 will have good reading and writing speed, isn´t it?

Before buying anything, i tested conect both PCs via ethernet to the internet router and copying files had a speed of 10mbps, what i found so slow. I think that buying the switch and the usb-ethernet adapter that i mentioned will improve the transfer speed a lot, isn´t it?

An important detail it´s that i work in full hd, so the clips i use in the premiere sequences aren´t bigger that 4gb.

I hope your expert responses. Thank you very much and sorry for my english!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: I´m incorporating a new temporary editor. NAS vs ethernet pc to pc. What´s the best option?
on Nov 3, 2019 at 4:44:43 pm

Hi -
I must be confused. Why do you think that spending $49 on a 1G 5 port TP link switch would be acceptable ?
There are many inexpensive wonderful network attached storage systems that you can use.
With a 1G connection, you will only get 100 MB/sec. Even if you were to only rely on an internet router, all MODERN internet routers are 1G, so if you plugged in 2 computers to a MODERN 1G internet router, and you did a simple file transfer you would get 100 MB/sec.
If in your testing, you got 10 Mb/sec, well, something is very wrong - with the router, with your cabling, with your network cards.

But even if you got 100 MB/sec between the 2 computers with a simple file transfer, you cannot use one computer with it's storage, and then have a second computer plug into the first computer network port, and have both computers edit from the same drive array.

I tried this year ago (2006 - 2007) with 2 Mac Pros, a large external RAID array, and doing simple file sharing. The remote computer would play, but when you started to use the host computer (where the RAID storage was), everything would crash.

SO - you are now stuck with buying some sort of a shared storage system. And there is nothing for $50 or $100 that you can purchase. There are wonderful inexpensive products like the ProMax MediaHub, and assorted products from QNAP and Synology that will do the job for you, but you are going to spend a few thousand dollars to make this work.

That is the expense that you must incur to have shared storage between multiple editing stations.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: I´m incorporating a new temporary editor. NAS vs ethernet pc to pc. What´s the best option?
on Nov 7, 2019 at 8:18:17 pm

Hey Bob;

I know it's not $100, but what if one of the PCs had a simple fast RAID attached to it with a 10gigE card. The other PC had a 10GigE card as well. Add the Netgear 10GigE switch and on a separate subnet, connect the 2nd PC to the 1st PC with the RAID. Wouldn't that sort of work as a simple setup for two people without getting a full blown NAS? A sub $2000 solution with pretty decent performance for two people?

Reason I ask is back in the SD days and even into the early 1080 days we would have internal 4 Drive RAIDS on MacPros getting about 400MB/sec. We connected the Mac's with a simple Gigabit switch with pretty solid performance. We added an Aggregated switch eventually and I had 5 MacPros sharing files between computers without any central shared storage. It worked great for a decade.

Eventually our bottleneck was more about moving to Premier and having the new camera codecs choke our older Macs, than file transfer bandwidth. We had been using all ProRes codecs up until then.

In these smaller setups wouldn't that be the most cost effective solution?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]