FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color grading on a regular PC monitor

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Waflik
Color grading on a regular PC monitor
on Sep 9, 2015 at 3:13:45 pm

Hello!
I'm using Adobe CC. I'm trying to figure out is there a point in color grading in Speedgrade or Premiere if I have a regular PC monitor. The thing I learned from web and my own experience is that since my monitor isn't "for grading" the colors I see in Speedgrade and Premiere are wrong. The footage from my camera comes with embedded Rec. 709 profile and no matter how I grade it in Premiere it looks different when I upload it to YouTube or play it on my HDTV. Only if I grade my footage in After Effects with working space set to "HDTV Rec. 709" after export it will look the same on YouTube and HDTV.
But, for my workflow it's more convenient to grade footage in Speedgrade with direct link to Premiere. And it turns out that grading that way makes no sense since Speedgrade and Premiere have no color management. As I far as I know you have to have your monitor calibrated to Rec. 709 to see everything correctly in Premiere and Speedgrade.
So my questions are:
- How would you grade Rec. 709 footage if you had a regular LCD monitor like I do?
- Is it possible to calibrate a regular LCD monitor to Rec. 709 so that the footage in Premiere looked the same way it would in After effects with working spcae set to "HDTV Rec. 709"?
I'm a complete noob in color grading and don't even know where to start, so please don't be angry at me. I searched all over the web but still can't figure out how to deal with colors in my case, so I came to the trusted forum.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Color grading on a regular PC monitor
on Sep 9, 2015 at 4:53:18 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Sep 9, 2015 at 5:27:55 pm

its called an unreferenced monitor. it means that the simulated output is the same as your monitor profile. any cc 2015 dynamic linking automatically sets profile conversion to rec709, at least until the update comes out that adds lumetri to AE.

you can google monitor probe calibrator such as spyder or xrite calibration to get slightly more accurate but only high end lcd monitors will get the colors right in the first place.

the major downside is, media encoder,speedgrade,and premiere don't support icm color management at all, so you really have to use AE's color profile converter to burn in the correct color profile for media encoder.

what you can also do, is try a custom LUT since premiere and speedgrade can load them.
http://dispcalgui.hoech.net/#about
http://www.brizsoft.com/lut-converter/

Return to posts index

Ben Waflik
on Sep 10, 2015 at 5:30:41 am

Thanks for the quick reply Chris! I'd like to clarify some moments:

"try a custom LUT since premiere and speedgrade can load them"
If I understand correctly, since icm profiles aren't supported the only option to grade in Premiere and Speeedgrade for YouTube is to apply a custom Rec. 709 LUT file to my video track to see how the video will look after upload?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 10, 2015 at 7:25:10 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Sep 11, 2015 at 12:03:15 pm

its pretty easy, brizsoft and dispcal asks for your monitor profile(the calibrated one), and what you want the icm to convert to(rec709). it interpolates a new custom LUT that conforms the difference. you want to select i think, its iridus cube, for adobe compability. you can create icc's with dispcal tools-create icc too.

select x64x64x64 for lossless converting; absolute colormetric with white point scaling.

also there's some footage that is rec709 16-235, so if the video gamma looks crazy, try that mode too.

some websites use srgb so you'll want to make a lut for that as well.

madvr is a media player that supports luts too if you want to try that

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]