FORUMS: list search recent posts

Direct Link colour space/bit depth problem

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick D'Arcy
Direct Link colour space/bit depth problem
on Aug 6, 2015 at 5:21:33 pm

I record footage in ProRes 4:2:2 and H.264 simultaneously at the moment. This is so I can have backup footage in case of an emergency, but just to check I put two identical clips in premiere pro and linked it to Speedgrade.

I was shocked to see that they looked exactly the same, dealt with grading the same way, showed the same info on the Vectorscopes etc. etc. I spent hours trying to figure out why this was the case, and whether I'd wasted my money, time and disk space on recording to this Pro Res format.

Then I opened Speedgrade without going through premiere pro, and lo and behold the clips were different. The 8 bit footage was leaving gaps in the Histogram, the colours were slightly off and it didn't grade as well.

What is happening to the Direct Linked footage to change it so much? It seems the 4:2:2 footage is being compressed, the 4:2:0 footage is being upscaled and it's harming my ability to grade my footage the way I want. I've looked into the sequence settings in premiere pro to make sure I'm not accidentally making everything conform to some weird setting.

It's annoying, I love my Adobe workflow but I'm going to have to switch over to Resolve if I can't solve this, I'd rather have to deal with an entirely new program than one which forces me to compress footage outside of my control.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Direct Link colour space/bit depth problem
on Aug 23, 2015 at 10:17:44 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Aug 23, 2015 at 10:19:46 am

using DL disables all color management
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1508203

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]