FORUMS: list search recent posts

No playback in Speedgrade CC 2014 (latest version) using NVIDIA 680gtx and Default OSX Drivers

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grégoire Giral
No playback in Speedgrade CC 2014 (latest version) using NVIDIA 680gtx and Default OSX Drivers
on May 29, 2015 at 1:05:59 pm

Hi,

I got a problem with SG CC 2014 since i've switch from a iMac to a Mac Pro 3.1.

Mac Pro 3.1 Spec :

Proc : 2 x 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
RAM : 32 Go
Graphic Card : - Ati 2600 XT 256 Mb (Just for monitoring)
- Nvidia GTX680 2G
Monitoring : 2 Cinema HD Display 23"

I have CUDA drivers latest version installed and also lastest NVIDIA drivers.

I know that Adobe App don't really like double graphic cards (specialy with ATI and NVIDIA at same time) but it work like a charm in PP and AE (as long as i'm using OSX default drivers : it's crashing during export when I use the Web Drivers).
If i only use 680gtx with both monitors plug on it, system will crash after few minutes.

I made few test to see why playback is not working when the 2 cards are installed :

- With 680gtx only (Web Drivers) : playback works but SG is slow as hell.
- With 680gtx only (Default Drivers) : Playback doesn't work.
- Both card (Web Drivers) : Crash during export in AE and PP -- SG slow as hell but have playback.
- Both card (Default drivers) : PP and AE work like a charm -- SG is acting normaly (not slow like when I only use the 680gtx) but no playback

I could switch everytime but it's not what I call a good workflow.

I'm working with 6k RED Dragon footage (native) but once again it works well in PP and AE with the good configuration.

If someone light me up on this it would be greatly appreciated

Thank to everyone by advance and let me know if you need more info to try to solve the problem.

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
Re: No playback in Speedgrade CC 2014 (latest version) using NVIDIA 680gtx and Default OSX Drivers
on Jun 1, 2015 at 11:13:37 pm

You've got a puzzler there ... there's other people working a 680 ok. I wonder what's the problem in your setup. And of course anymore there are quite a few people working multiple cards, and including different cards.

You say "default" and "web" drivers ... I'm not sure what you mean there. I know the Adobe engineers/techs always check on such problems to see if people are running the latest drivers downloaded from the manufacturer for their card. Also, there's been some issues with some of the Mac OS updates not being friendly with all hardware/graphics configs and some of the Adobe apps.

Neil

Return to posts index

Grégoire Giral
Re: No playback in Speedgrade CC 2014 (latest version) using NVIDIA 680gtx and Default OSX Drivers
on Jun 2, 2015 at 9:48:21 am
Last Edited By Grégoire Giral on Jun 2, 2015 at 9:49:41 am

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your answer.

"Default Drivers" or "Web Drivers" are options that you can select in the Nvidia prefs panel. Either you use Default OSX drivers or the drivers that you've downloaded from the web.

I actualy made some more configuration test and i discovered that anytime i plug a monitor on the 680gtx the card start to make artefacts and then OS reboot after a short time.

I've asked my graphic card reseller to send me another card to see if that one is malfonctionning.

So when I plug my 2 monitors on the 2600 everything goes fine except for SpeedGrade that doesn't recognize the monitors.

Any tips to indicate speedgrade to use the monitors pluged on the 2600 and not the 680gtx ?

I'll keep you posted if I have any news.

Again thank you for your answer.

Edit : my mac pro is running Yosemite 10.10.3

Grégoire.

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
on Jun 4, 2015 at 9:24:50 pm
Last Edited By R Neil Haugen on Jun 4, 2015 at 9:27:04 pm

Speedgrade doesn't recognize either monitor when they're both plugged into the 2600? Huh.

I know the process to get SpeedGrade to use dual monitors is a bit arcane, but that assumes it's using the card to begin with.

IF it is, in the Preferences Panel, Display Tab, click to "enable" dual display output, then below ... that number grid ...

The top two boxes, "Left" and "Top", tell Sg where the top-left pixel of your number two monitor ... (the monitor that will have the program monitor rather than your working controls) ... exists *relative* to the top left pixel of your primary display (with the main program on it). If your secondary monitor is above or left, the numbers will be negative, if to the right or below, positive.

In my case, my Primary monitor (1920x1080)is in front of me with the Program (content) monitor (also 1920x1080) above it, vertically stacked.

Therefore ...
1) "Left" is set to " 0 " as the top-left pixels are vertically aligned.
2)"Top" is set to -1080 as that monitor is 1080 pixels tall, and therefore the top left pixel of that monitor is -1080 from the primary monitor's top left pixel.

And "Width" and "Height" are the pixel dimensions of the number 2 monitor.

If my secondary monitor was to the left, those top two numbers would be
1) -1980
2) 0

If my secondary monitor was to the right, they would be ...
1) 1980
2) 0

But note ... IF the primary monitor is NOT the same as your secondary monitor, then for a right-side position for the secondary monitor you need to enter in "Left" the width of your PRIMARY monitor screen.

Not particularly intuitive, but ... workable.

Neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]