FORUMS: list search recent posts

What colour calibration settings should I use for colour grading

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick D'Arcy
What colour calibration settings should I use for colour grading
on Apr 13, 2015 at 5:26:15 pm

I bought a Spyder4Pro a few months back, calibrated my monitor to the default settings and got on with video work.

Since then, while colour grading footage, I've noticed myself turning the calibration off to see what the footage will look like on an uncalibrated monitor.

This has got me thinking. If I calibrate my monitor to 6500k, but most monitors come out of the factory with a blue hue closer to 9000k, then surely colour grading internet media at 6500k is just going to make all my footage look overly blue to most people.

Basically what I'm asking is, what calibration settings should I use? What is the industry norm? What do you guys use?

Thanks,

Patrick

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
Re: What colour calibration settings should I use for colour grading
on Apr 13, 2015 at 6:47:02 pm

Go with the standards ... monitors come out all over the place, and if you try to out-guess you'll go bonkers. If you set at standard, anyone set up properly will see your work as done by someone who's got a functional brain ... and everyone else will see yours looking the same as any other high-quality content they view.

Neil

Return to posts index

Patrick D'Arcy
on Apr 14, 2015 at 1:46:38 pm
Last Edited By Patrick D'Arcy on Apr 14, 2015 at 2:21:31 pm

Thanks, That's really helpful to hear.

Out of interest what are the standards most people use? I can't seem to find a general consensus. I use 6500k, with a gamma of 2.2 but I also do photography which that's the standard for.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 20, 2015 at 1:54:21 am
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Aug 20, 2015 at 2:07:20 am

if you want perfection, D65, or in kelvins: 6504K for HD rec709. D65 has a CCT of 6500K which is 4 less. Then again, the tolerance for a spyder is probably 3% anyways.

sRGB is gamma 2.2 with D65 white point as well. A good gamma choice for web based products.

projected digital cinema gamma is 2.6

average living room with plasma TV with offwhite walls gamma 2.4

as you can see, Rec709 is all over the place depending on the destination product.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]