FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which OLED monitor to buy?

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Travis Wine
Which OLED monitor to buy?
on Jan 28, 2015 at 5:15:05 pm

OK - I want to get a good professional monitor for all the right reasons.

I was looking into the Sony PVMA170 17" Professional OLED Picture Monitor. A superb monitor for about 4000, but again only 17" inches.

LG also has a 55-Inch 1080p OLED TV.

Now I understand the Sony Professional monitors has all the scopes ect... and it's meant to last in a 24/7 hour operation. However I would not being using this monitor 24/7.

Then I see the 55" OLED LG Electronics 55EC9300 model for 4000.00.

If OLED is the hype it is to be, would anyone prefer the LG over the Sony?

My studio is big enough to place the 55' monitor at least 15 feet away.

I could also use this LG TV for clients when they come by to view work completed.

SO the main question here. . . Would colorist be scared to use this? and why.

Return to posts index

R Neil Haugen
Re: Which OLED monitor to buy?
on Jan 29, 2015 at 12:11:27 am

Well, the LG tv we have at home has a lot of controls for minute adjustment of colors up & down the scale, all that ... so if this one has the same controls that a much less spendy LG does, it can probably be made to work for your "paired" tasks of use by colorist and visiting clients.

Now ... how critical is the work you do? That's the real question here. There is a reason why most full colorist suites have a b-cast monitor in them. Can one get by? ... If carefully chosen & set up, well ... how high are the stakes here? And further, what are the expectations of those clients? Will they be either unimpressed at a non-b-cast monitor, or just thrilled at a pretty picture?

Few years back I was looking at either a D3 or D700 for portrait stills, about $4G difference in cost. Sought advice from a couple good peers. One popped a quick question ... who you shooting? Answer: a fair number are professional type men.

Ah ... D3 for sure. D700 would do just fine, but wouldn't have near the Professional Feel to their experience. I spent the dough ... and was glad I did. Yea, had quite a number of my clients notice ... I never said anything but had men going "Oh, wow ... " who definitely noticed that was a Serious Camera and knew the nomenclature between a D700 & D3.

Are you going to have that with your clients?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]