FORUMS: list search recent posts

S-log 2 ???

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Rijkaard
S-log 2 ???
on Nov 10, 2014 at 10:35:27 am

Hello

I am struggling to find online resources to help define a suitable grading workflow.

I am using footage shot on sony FS700 with s-log2 profile. For the sake of offline I have been working with pro-res proxy files using native slog 2 profile.

Now it's time to grade and I am confused as to best workflow for my task. I understand that s-log 2 provides the greatest possible colour range (potentially at least), but fail to believe that once a pro-res 444 is baked from the raw file that this can contain any more potential colour range than Rec 709.

I have experimented and find that 709 is too saturated with too much contrast for my likes, instead would prefer to work with something a little bolder than the native s slog 2.

Can someone help me out here? I still find it difficult to believe in Raw video, even though I am well versed in (still) camera raw. If i bake 709 at the start of the process, will it give me fewer colour options when I come to grade? are there any good resources for this to read more?

workflow i am currently preparing for online:

sony raw viewer: Raw > pro res 444 (slog 2 or 709)
edit in premiere
grade in speed grade

many thanks

Paul

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: S-log 2 ???
on Nov 19, 2014 at 5:48:42 pm
Last Edited By Chris Wright on Dec 3, 2014 at 5:47:52 pm

if you don't want to damage the quality in the pipeline, consider luts instead of icc profiles.
pre-grade how you want it and pass the lut around.

For final master, eventually it will have to go to theatres dcdm xyz or rec709 bluray/hdtv anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]