Today is my second day trying to use SpeedGrade, and I keep having problems.
In particular, when I apply a mask (on a second primary layer), I can position the mask and apply a correction to the inside of the mask...and SOMETIMES it works perfectly. Other times, my correction is applied to the wrong part of the image, as if my mask were actually in a different place in the frame than it actually is. And when that begins to happen, more likely than not, the playhead will freeze. And I can't get it to move again, and creating a second playhead doesn't seem to work either.
Then my only solution is to quit and reopen SpeedGrade. But--and I should mention I'm using Dynamic Link--it takes 8-10 minutes for my project to open in SpeedGrade. So after every playhead freeze/mask glitch, I'm looking at ten minutes to get back to where I was.
My Premiere sequence does include embedded After Effects compositions and embedded Photoshop files, but the clips where adding a second primary with a mask causes a glitch are pure video clips, not AE comps or PSD files.
The footage is all from the Canon C300.
I should mention that I'm running the latest CC versions of Premiere and SpeedGrade, on an iMac running 10.7.5 with 20GB RAM and a 2.7 GHz i5. A drobo 5d holds the media. And the Premiere project isn't particularly large. It's a 55MB project file with a few hundred photos and less than 20 hours of footage.
So, my questions are:
1) Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?
2) If so, have you found workarounds?
3) Is this related to Dynamic Link, and if so, what workflow do you suggest I use instead?
4) Is there a way to speed up opening a Premiere project in SpeedGrade? Should I make a new project that only contains the sequence I want to color correct? Or is there another way to do this?
5) Could the embedded After Effects comps and/or embedded Photoshop files be somehow causing issues?
I don't have time to troubleshoot this right now, or I'd try to find answers to all the above questions on my own. But I'd love to hear your experiences and the results of your own troubleshooting.
I love SpeedGrade, or at least I want to. But I'm not able to do what I need to do and I'm in a bit of a time crunch.