FORUMS: list search recent posts

SpeedGrade Screen Monitoring OR Ext SDI monitoring only?

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Miller
SpeedGrade Screen Monitoring OR Ext SDI monitoring only?
on Dec 31, 2013 at 3:06:04 am

I'm now on CC 7.2 and yes I am now able to get a signal out via SDI/AJA to my Flanders Monitor. Yeh!
But the picture goes away on the computer screen, argh! There is message on the screen that says, I have either turned on Dual Monitoring or SDI output, so no picture on the Mac screen.

Maybe it's because SG doesn't recognize my Mac Geforce GTX 570 GPU 2.5 RAM Card, I'm guessing? Premiere and AfterEffects do see the card, even if it is not blessed by Adobe. (BTW-it has like 500-ish CUDA Cores and does very well). This obviously is not a problem in Premiere, I see the picture in the computer screen while also seeing the signal thru SDI, on my Flanders Monitor.

I've tried all the buttons in the SG preferences. Could this be some other problem? I've read about Direct Link being the possible culprit, but no, SG has the problem with raw footage brought in it too.

Thanks,
Jim

Return to posts index

Tom Jackson
Re: SpeedGrade Screen Monitoring OR Ext SDI monitoring only?
on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:09:38 pm

I have the same set-up and the same problem. I think at this time you have to choose one or the other as both are not an option. Hopefully this will be addressed in a future update as the result screen is necessary to see to do certain secondary masking while the Flanders is needed to make color corrections.

Return to posts index

Jim Miller
on Jan 1, 2014 at 1:57:46 am

" I think at this time you have to choose one or the other as both are not an option."

Wow, I hope this is not the way it works. As you probably said more clearly than I, it's a basic need to see the image on the computer screen as well as the Flanders monitor for secondary color work, etc.

Does anyone else have a different, working setup?

thx,
Jim

Return to posts index

Tom Jackson
on Jan 1, 2014 at 1:55:03 pm

I did notice that when doing HSL masks in a secondary layer the cursor is available on the Flanders screen to pick a color for the mask, bur when doing straight masks it is not and you need the computer screen to make adjustments.

Return to posts index

Jim Miller
on Jan 1, 2014 at 9:19:15 pm

Tom,
Do you have an Adobe "blessed" graphics card? Do you get the message in the Speedgrade preferences that says, "nvidia SDI: No compatible devices have been found." Maybe this is just to send a SDI signal to the monitor via the nvidia card instead of the AJA card.

thanks,
Jim

Return to posts index

Tom Jackson
on Jan 1, 2014 at 10:00:49 pm

Jim:

I just have the ATI 5770 that came with my 2010 MacPro, so I have never seen that message. Like you I'm using an AJA LHi with a Flanders Scientific monitor. And except for the monitoring problem and secondary layer HSL mask controls, the Direct Link to Speedgrade seems to be working OK.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 7, 2014 at 2:34:05 pm

This is the way it works, unfortunately. It's designed behavior.

You can toggle the SDI out on and off with the keyboard. I tend to do masks and other GUI work on the computer monitor and toggle the SDI output (Kona 3) back on to judge color. It's not too painful and becomes second nature pretty quickly, but I'd rather have both active.

Make the feature request....the more adobe hears it, the faster they will react. They have added lots of capability in the last update and seem keen to do more.

Return to posts index

Tom Jackson
on Jan 7, 2014 at 3:57:58 pm

John:

Can you elaborate on the keyboard shortcut for toggling the SDI on and off? Can't seem to figure it out.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jan 8, 2014 at 1:57:08 am

Im an idiot. I meant I open the settings window with a shortcut (s) and then switched the Kona off with the enable checkbox. I find I am using the Kona output most of the time and only switch it off for certain tasks that are easier on the computer monitor.

Sorry for misleading you.

Return to posts index

Tom Jackson
on Jan 8, 2014 at 12:55:50 pm

There is a shortcut for toggling the mouse from SDI to normal on the Kona screen so you can edit masks right on the Kona and then toggle back to editing color, but on my Flanders screen it's harder to see the mask outlines and edit points than on the program monitor.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]