FORUMS: list search recent posts

Survey Shots, Multiple Same-Location Shots: best practices

COW Forums : Syntheyes

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Bischoff
Survey Shots, Multiple Same-Location Shots: best practices
on Oct 27, 2015 at 1:46:42 pm

Hello all!

I shot a scene for a shot film which takes place entirely in one room on a Blackmagic 2.5k Cinema Camera. Took survey shots of the room afterwards to help with the matchmove.

The scene is challenging for several reasons, all of which I have now learned are not conducive to good match moving. :-)
  • Very shallow depth-of-field

• Hazer in use

• BPM 1/4 in front of the lens

• Anamorphic adapter that "breathes" with focus pulls

• Handheld

• Rolling Shutter & fast camera moves

• I'm hoping that I can tease a reasonable track out of all this. :-)

My question is this: is there a best practice with regards to tracking many shots in the same location with the same survey shots?

For example, would there be a benefit to having all the shots that need matchmoving be in the same project, since they all use the same room and survey shot? Would the solutions reinforce each other, or just make for a confusing project?

Is it best to add your survey shot first, then add your track shot(s)? Or does it matter at all?

The videos on the website/youtube are very good with regards to setting up a survey shot and with having a survey shot show different frames than the tracking shot, but there doesn't seem to be a master "here's how to use a survey shot most effectively" tutorial.

Thanks for any advice!

Douglas Bischoff
    http://www.ceridwenproductions.com

Return to posts index

Douglas Bischoff
    Re: Survey Shots, Multiple Same-Location Shots: best practices
    on Oct 27, 2015 at 7:23:18 pm

Also: with regards to the anamorphic lens adapter, I'm guessing that it's best to let Syntheyes handle the de-anamorphic conversion so that distortion calculations will be the most accurate.

Along the same lines, any sizing and rotation in the edit I suppose should likewise be done AFTER Syntheyes.

Complex... any advice is welcome.

Douglas Bischoff

Return to posts index

brian morse
    on Nov 2, 2015 at 10:04:38 pm

Hi Douglas,

That is a lot of different issues. Without seeing the shots it would be hard to tell if you could get a reasonable solve or not. In general though you would want to do the survey first and then use the survey to solve your shots. You could solve them all together or one at a time.

The rolling shutter would need to be removed before tracking especially if it was really bad. The breathing in the focus pulls you would probably need to be creative, again hard to tell without seeing how bad it is. Sometimes you can track through it and fix the difference in compositing.

The plus side is fast moving cameras and blur can help in the compositing to hide the matchmove.

I'm currently working on a video about survey and multishot tracking, wish I could get it done sooner to help you out.

Return to posts index

Douglas Bischoff
    on Nov 3, 2015 at 9:41:46 pm

Brian:

Thanks for the thoughts! Yep... it's proving to be a bear. Almost NO tracking features show up in auto-track that are usable, but doing a brute-force "track 'em all manually" approach is getting somewhere.

The breathing through focus pull isn't terrible, but I think it is enough that it might be negatively impacting the solve.

As for rolling shutter, I'm putting in my best calculation of what the Blackmagic Cinema Camera's value should be, but it's hard to know if it's doing the trick.

I think a "best you can do" solve plus some creative post is going to be the order of the day. Thanks very much for the advice!

Douglas Bischoff

Return to posts index

brian morse
    on Sep 7, 2016 at 2:28:52 pm

Hi Douglas,

I know this is way after the fact but the video I was working on is done. It's on Vimeo and Lynda.com, if you are a subscriber. Here is the Vimeo link:

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/syntheyessurveysolving

Or it was just released on Lynda so a quick search should bring it up.

Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]