FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple program, multiple ways of doing, tracking and composiiting

COW Forums : Syntheyes

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sean lake
Multiple program, multiple ways of doing, tracking and composiiting
on Sep 7, 2015 at 3:49:06 pm

Good day.

I've asked a similar question however, I need a specific answer.

I was told to track some footage, best in Syntheyes. Most of the shots, the camera moves very little, to none, however 3 are moving enough to get parallax.

My question is. Once I do track it, and somewhat set up a coordinate system(hasn't been perfect but it will do), and export to Maya this is where the question begins.

So normally, once I get the tracking clouds and camera with the image plane into my scene in Maya, then I can add my item. This item however, animates. I want the object to stick to the camera movement, since there is a little jiggle, and not just look placed. If I just animate the object how do I stick it with the footage? Do I do it here, in Maya or do I export the rendered passes, etc and then in let's say NUKE, I have the passes, and the original sequence, do I also need the tracking info? Then pin the object and trackers in Nuke via the transform node?

This is where I get confused with tracking. I have done projects where the object is pinned to the actors head so i have trackers to do that and then render out the full animated scene. I've also had stationery objects within the scene but they move, like a hand opening up but the whole arm is stuck on the table. These are easy because they can be pinned to a tracker that I may have manually tracked.

However, when I have a cloud that was tracked and all those trackers are on the ground, side walls, etc, but not in the sky, how would I "pin" the animated object to the camera movement, yet still fly across the sky or even just hover or "chase" people? If I just fudge the animation, then it may still look like it's just floating around but not really following the movements of the camera.

Do I pin the pivot via a group to a stationery tracker and then just animate the object?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

brian morse
Re: Multiple program, multiple ways of doing, tracking and composiiting
on Sep 9, 2015 at 5:40:00 pm

If I understand the question correctly. You would do your item's animation in Maya and render that animation through the Syntheyes camera in Maya then export to compositing. If you use the Syntheyes camera to render your animation in Maya then any camera animation would be added to your render. If you have a good 3d camera there should be no need to add any additional tracking. As far as not having any trackers in the sky you would have to estimate that based on your point cloud. Hope that helps

Return to posts index

sean lake
on Sep 10, 2015 at 7:58:38 pm

"If I understand the question correctly. You would do your item's animation in Maya and render that animation through the Syntheyes camera in Maya then export to compositing. If you use the Syntheyes camera to render your animation in Maya then any camera animation would be added to your render. If you have a good 3d camera there should be no need to add any additional tracking. As far as not having any trackers in the sky you would have to estimate that based on your point cloud. Hope that helps"

Hey Brian! Thanks for the response. No, actually I have my tracked points FROM SE in Maya, along with a 3D created Maya Object. The object is being animated within the Maya scene, rendered out from Maya and then eventually composited in either Nuke or AE.

Now, for the shots that have only a sky, no trees, or very little trees but definitely no parallax, then how would one animate that 3d Object within a scene that the camera maybe be moving. It might look weird in the animation if the scene is shaky or the camera is panning slightly left to right.

Does that make sense?

Return to posts index

brian morse
on Sep 10, 2015 at 8:33:27 pm

I guess I don't understand the problem. If you tracked your scene in Syntheyes and then exported the camera info to Maya did your animation in maya in relation to the camera you brought in from syntheyes and then rendered your animation in maya through that camera you imported form Syntheyes you should be all set. As far as the sky shots if you can get a camera solve from syntheyes, even a tripod solve, then it should be the same scenario as above. If that's not the case any chance you can post some examples?

Return to posts index

sean lake
on Sep 10, 2015 at 9:03:37 pm

I'll post some examples. I can't put the actual footage as they are someone else's :). Ok, so I get the sky one then :).

I guess the issue I had with the 3d scene was that when I tracked, the 3d view showed flat trackers when in reality there was a floor and walls. When I tried to set the coordinate system it just flipped the camera to be looking up to the sky with all the trackers on a semi flat surface above the camera, no dimension. which is what I sort of expect for a scene with no parallax.

Return to posts index

Sean Lake
on Sep 11, 2015 at 2:38:03 am

Here's the pics. Hopefully you can make sense. Notice in SE, how the plane looks right in the Lock view. Howeveras you can see the trackers aren't exactly lined up properly in 3D space.

For me to "project" the floor so that I can have proper shadows casted, I'll have to have proper tracking.

I guess this is a multiple question/answer.

Return to posts index

brian morse
on Sep 11, 2015 at 1:39:46 pm
Last Edited By brian morse on Sep 11, 2015 at 1:43:36 pm

So it looks like you just don't have the scene oriented correctly. Although it looks right in your perspective locked view you seem to be actually below the ground. You could either move the entire scene up in Syntheyes or do it in Maya so that the points that lay on the ground are actually on the ground. This video may help an easy way to do a coordinate system:

or this one:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]