FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weighing cost vs performance of dual purpose 65" tv / occasional video editing monitor duties

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Greg Sage
Weighing cost vs performance of dual purpose 65" tv / occasional video editing monitor duties
on May 16, 2018 at 3:08:26 pm

Video production is a tiny (but important) part of what I do. I have a 10 year old camera that can barely do 1080p (after firmware hack), and my workflow and space considerations dictate that I get a single 65" 16x9 4k tv which will then also have to serve for video production. I understand it's not an optimal video setup, but I have already considered the other options, and need to proceed as described. The only way I could do dual smaller monitors would be vertically, and a smaller single monitor will not work for other work purposes.

Budget is $1500 or less. Since I am also open to used units, and prices have come way down, I see a number of options in this price range. I just purchased a 980ti video card for my old 2008 macpro, so I should be able to do 4k 60hz output using a display port to hdmi2 adapter.

I make music videos, so image quality is important, but I do so only for the widest possible consumption on YouTube or similar. Does this mean I can effectively ignore all the Wide Color Gamut and HDR options on the newer TV's? Should I be using the wider color space to work in, then dumbing down, or if I know I want everyone to be able to play it, and stream it quickly, would it be just as effective or better to work in 709, then output to standard YT specs?

Either way, what exactly are the other criteria I should be looking at besides color spectrum coverage (and ratings for ability to calibrate)?

For instance, the following review seems to indicate that though the tv in question has limited extended gamut, it can be calibrated fairly accurately within the standard gamut. Am I missing other important metrics?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-xled-2017

Thx. Looking to pick something up and get working ASAP.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Weighing cost vs performance of dual purpose 65" tv / occasional video editing monitor duties
on May 17, 2018 at 2:18:06 pm

" I just purchased a 980ti video card for my old 2008 macpro, so I should be able to do 4k 60hz output"

Why? If you are editing 1080p footage, why stress the computer to get 4K output to the display? Output 1080p and display will scale to 4K for you. Maybe I don't understand the intended workflow.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Greg Sage
Re: Weighing cost vs performance of dual purpose 65" tv / occasional video editing monitor duties
on May 17, 2018 at 3:27:34 pm

Well, two reasons.

The camera may change at some point, but more importantly, the tv's MAIN function isn't video editing. That's only something I do a few times a year. Mainly, it's a desktop monitor, and the whole reason I need a new and bigger one is to increase the screen real estate beyond my current 40" 1080p monitor, and a single large screen fits the space where two smaller ones wouldn't.

I'm still not 100% clear whether I'll end up outputting 4k at 60 or 30 hz since I haven't tried it yet to see if the 30hz causes other issues, but I had heard enough negative reports from other folks trying to do video at 30 hz that I wanted to make sure the card was capable at 60 hz. My understanding is that even though it requires an adapter, that particular card was the best I could do for the machine without requiring additional power supply and potential other issues... plus they're half the price they were a couple years ago.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]