APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Locking up two camera interview for edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Berez
Locking up two camera interview for edit
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:08:38 pm

Trying to get my head around this and floundering . . .

How would I do the following?

Simple interview shot by two cameras. Slated at the head. I would like to sync and group the two shots so that I can log the content and then select which camera I'd like in the edit.

In FCP 7 I would sync up the two tracks and just cut away. In FCP X I suspect there is an elegant way to do this, but damned if I know what it is.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Reiersgaard
Re: Locking up two camera interview for edit
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:43:49 pm

You can do the same. Sync up the two tracks (you can even have FCPX do it for you) and use the blade tool to cut the top track where desired.

Return to posts index

David Burch
Re: Locking up two camera interview for edit
on Jul 4, 2011 at 7:47:28 pm

Try this:

Synch up the clips on the timeline (I'm assuming you have a slate or something similar? If not use the "Synchronize Clips" command from the event viewer).

Make a compound clip once they're synched, and turn off the upper clip by selecting it and hitting 'v'. This lets you watch your program underneath and still see the other angle via the filmstrip.

Use the razor blade to cut segments you want overlaid, select those segments independently, and turn them back on using 'v'. The rest of your track will still be hidden. If you wish, you can then drop the clip you turned on into the main sequence so you can add transitions.

It's kind of a clumsy work-around I know, but it will probably get me through some projects until Apple gets around to adding a proper multiclip feature. For other, more involved multiclip projects, I'll probably have to start my edit in FCP7, export the finished multiclip edit, and finish the project in FCPX (or just do the whole thing in 7).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]