APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: FCP Legacy FCPX FCPX Techniques FCP Tutorials Basics Forum Podcast

how do i save my project in final cut pro x?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
King Lawhow do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 6:10:52 am

a quick question how do i save my project in final cut pro x? ive managed to capture my video and added them to the time line only thing i cant figure out is how to save my whole project so i dont loose a thing help please!!

kinglaw

Return to posts index

Jeremy GarchowRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 6:30:36 am

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.3/#ver3b4e6d1

Return to posts index

King LawRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 9:14:53 am

ok the link u gave me says nothing about saving the project please explain to me if you can i just wanna know that i will be able to continue editing from where i left if i quit final cut now! thank u

Kinglaw

Return to posts index

Ben HolmesRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 9:29:38 am

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.3/#ver79aa3d71

Short answer - you don't have to save, FCPX, like other modern Lion apps is constantly saving every change you make. If you close the app (or it crashes) it will reopen exactly where you left it - except you obviously lose your undo queue.

FCPX also regularly saves backups in the background, in case a project gets corrupted.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Post removed.

King LawRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Feb 23, 2012 at 1:53:48 am

oh man thank u so much for your answer man but i cant retrieve the file i was working on last night after closing final cut x dont know if theres anything i can do now!! but i do appreciate you taking your time to answer my question!

Kinglaw

Return to posts index

Joe LoeschRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on May 21, 2013 at 2:02:47 am

Same problem the other guy was having and why he was asking about the save. I closed down the other day and all of that project is gone, so I understand why he was asking. I'm hoping for the best after spending all day on my current project. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Return to posts index

by on May 21, 2013 at 2:47:01 am

You can always duplicate Projects to save other copies.

Return to posts index

Steve StevensRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Sep 19, 2013 at 6:59:03 am

On Mac platform, your event and project are saved to your "movies" folder...there you will see your Final Cut folders containing your projects. Before starting a new project, you should first create a new event... when creating the event you can designate the storage location... best to store on an external. Hope this helps...let me know

Return to posts index

Kevin BarhydtRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Jan 31, 2014 at 6:03:47 pm

Yes, that helps a lot. Straight answers often do. Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Vincent StraderRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Dec 17, 2015 at 10:20:00 pm

We just cracked open a macbook and fcp. Super slow , beyond slow, upgrading abilities with a municipality.

OSX Yosemite

FCPX 10.2.2

Ive read this thread, thanks for all the input. It auto saved the project I was working on just as somebody in this thread posted. What if I'm working on two or three projects? Where are they saved to? Same area? I see the xueewbrversion.fcpevent. When I click on it it's just a document with a lot of scripts. I guess thats the auto save information? What if there are 3 other projects? I did the "reveal in finder" on a clip to open up the file folder. I guess I'm not looking in the same area where the project file is to open up? I did a search for "movies" and it only pulled up Imovies. I've never had luck with Apple Finder on our macpro and now this macbook.

Return to posts index

Ronny CourtensRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Dec 20, 2015 at 9:50:20 pm

In FCP X you create a Library into which you import your media and create your projects. FCP X automatically saves your work inside the Library so you never lose any work. If you have multiple projects in your Library, they all will be saved inside that Library.

The Library can be stored any place you wish. You never should open a Library in Finder and mess with its contents, that's a recipe for disaster and that's exactly why Libraries are closed containers. Everything you ever need to do in FCP X can be done right within the user interface.

Besides automatically saving your work, FCP X also creates regular backups from your Library. These are stored in the Movies folder by default, but you can save them anywhere you wish from within the FCP X interface. Library backups can help you restore your work even when a Library gets corrupted. Again, you can open the Library backups right within the user interface and you never need to go into any FCP X folders in Finder.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Craig AlanRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Dec 21, 2015 at 2:46:56 am

While I think this is good advice in general, I have never had a problem opening and making changes in the library except the need to relink. I don't do it often but most of what is in there is pretty straight forward and that which is not I just leave alone.

I've had Fcp libraries get corrupted and recreated them and dragged the assets out of the old library into new folders from which I've reimported them into the new library. Just as an example.

I tend not to leave much in the library. I prefer to create a media folder in the finder and keep that In a project file along with the library and all other components of a given project.

Project above in the common use of the word.

The problem with libraries including ones that store mail is that it's one more container that can become corrupted but is more complex than the folders and files that we are used to moving around and when smart backing up.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ronny CourtensRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Dec 21, 2015 at 8:34:00 am

Craig, I entirely agree with you. When you know exactly what you are doing there is no real risk in exploring the contents of a Library package. But, except for troubleshooting purposes, there is nothing you can do in the Library package that you cannot do from within the FCP X interface. I have have seen too many people who had completely screwed up their production because they had been messing with Library files in Finder. That's why I always advise to stay out of the Library packages unless you know exactly what you do.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Craig AlanRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Dec 21, 2015 at 9:35:18 am

Agreed. I try to stay clear unless something is messed up. Then I might check in the finder to see where things are and if they are corrupted. Every time I do this I check back into FC and make sure all the media is still on line.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill DavisRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Mar 1, 2016 at 12:21:08 am

I don't think we can emphasize this enough. Folks migrating to X from other NLEs are accustomed to drag and drop file management via the finder - so it's their natural reaction when they think somethings "missing."

But X works completely separate from traditional finder actions managing EVERYTHING via its database - with no finder manipulation required EVER. It's a paradigm shift.

Best advice to X beginners is NEVER drag anything anywhere in the finder.

Learn and use X's database commands for everything. FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Alexander LembergRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Dec 23, 2015 at 8:43:29 pm

This isn't true. Final Cut Pro X crashes every now and then, and most of the time, all my recent edits (1h hour of editing) is lost. I am running OS X El Capitan with a brand new MBP. This is really really really really annoying. I really miss the 'save' button. This shit stinks.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 23, 2015 at 10:55:06 pm

If fcpx isn't saving backups, something seems like it is wrong.

I've never lost data on a crash, and losing an hours worth of work is definitely a problem.

I'd trash your preferences and reset all the settings for your library for backups.

And if any of that continues an OS reinstall may be in order.

Return to posts index

Kris BatesRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Feb 28, 2016 at 6:12:19 pm

I have lost my files several times over 3 years editing a movie and it just now happened again!!!
I am 95% complete and can't find it on Final Cut Pro X. Help please!!!

Return to posts index

Fedor von HengstenbergRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Feb 29, 2016 at 11:38:44 am

Hi Kris, just to clarify your statement that you "lost your files": Set the browser view to list view. What happens? Is the window empty or do you see any items? In any case, make sure that the search field on top of the window is completely empty and that the drop down menu on the top left of the browser window is set to "all clips". Just in case.

Return to posts index

Mark SmithRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Feb 29, 2016 at 12:27:00 pm

Amen to that. I jest went through a funny bit where a library would show all my clips on one computer and something less than all my clips on another computer. The computer that was showing less than all my clips was set to "favorites" instead of all clips. Small things can make a big difference.

Return to posts index

John DoughRe: how do i save my project in final cut pro x?
by on Apr 23, 2016 at 2:47:07 am

What happens lets say if someone decided to just delete all the work on the event?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]