APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: FCP Legacy FCPX Debates Apple Final Cut Pro X FCP Tutorials

FCP X Project does not import into Automatic Duck

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt DeGennaro
FCP X Project does not import into Automatic Duck
on Jan 10, 2012 at 1:32:01 am

Trying to import a project into Automatic Duck Pro Export FCP to export out OMF files for a sound mix, but it ain't happening. The weird thing is that other projects import just fine - I drag them into the window and the option window pops up.

Could it be the length of the project - it's an hour and six minutes?

I'm all out of guesses.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP X Project does not import into Automatic Duck
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:07:06 am

Could be, which would be easy to test by breaking your Project into multiple Projects.

Do you have any strange media in there, like caf or other non PCM audio?

Return to posts index

Matt DeGennaro
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:29:15 am

yikes.

indeed I do have some caf sfx files in there(that came with FCP X).

i'm going to try to take them out and have another go at it.

(and then if it works convert the caf files into mp3 and stick them back in there.)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:42:16 am

I'd convert them to 16 bit 48k aiff rather than mp3.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matt DeGennaro
on Jan 10, 2012 at 6:30:23 am

No dice with taking the Caf files out (but thanks for the suggestion)

EDIT: it is too big! I deleted some to test and it imported!

Now, how do I break apart the project without making a mess (so I can easily put the final sound mix back in after?)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2012 at 1:11:58 pm

[Matt DeGennaro] "
Now, how do I break apart the project without making a mess (so I can easily put the final sound mix back in after?)

Thanks!"

Where are you sending it to?

You could fairly simply attach the two sections together in a DAW and then get the stems back at the full length of the program.

Did you try sending the second half over? If the second half his over, then you know it has something to do with the length, if it doesn't then there's probably something weird with the media, like a file that's not an aiff or wave, or non PCM audio.

Return to posts index

Matt DeGennaro
on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:18:52 pm

"Did you try sending the second half over?"

Yes, indeed. and they both started to bring up the "options" window - so they took.

My goal is to put the OMF files on a separate Hard Drive to give to a sound mixer. I'm pretty sure I have to break it up into 3 separate parts - as when I was testing making one half, I got the dreaded "your file would be more than 2GB - try again" message.

My concern is not to break it apart at some random parts to confuse him and mess us both up.

Forgive my newbieness - this is all out of the realm of my knowledge.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:45:40 pm

Try using AAF rather than OMF - AAF does not have the file size limit and is generally preferable these days.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:48:25 pm

[Matt DeGennaro] "My concern is not to break it apart at some random parts to confuse him and mess us both up.

Forgive my newbieness - this is all out of the realm of my knowledge."

Don't worry, you're asking all the right questions. Can't fault you for what you don't know.

I would dupe your project three times and then you have to find logical cut points.

Name them "ProjectName_1of3", "..._2of3" and so on.

For the first timeline (from the beginning) simply delete everything after the first cut point. Make sure to try and not cut in the middle of the clip. Note the tc out point of the sequence.

Then open your second timeline. Go to one frame after the previous tc out point (essentially the next frame) of your sequence and replace everything before it with a gap clip. Then find your second cut point, note the tc out and delete evrything after that.

Open the third. Go to one frame after the previous out point and replace all of that with a gap. Then you should export all three of those separately.

Some tips. You can move everything out of the primary storyline to crate the gap clip very easily. Select the necessary media and hit command, shift, up arrow. This should be on the media you want to delete. Then simply delete everything above the gap clips leaving behind the necessary media.

Also, I'm not sure where you are sending this, but perhaps you should try an AAF

It does not have the 2GB limit. See if you sound mixer can accept AAF.

Hope this all makes sense. Ask any questions.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matt DeGennaro
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:32:46 pm

Thanks so much Jeremy for the detailed instructions (thanks Simon, too)

It's going to Pro Tools - and I'm going to give the sound guy a call and see if AIFF is good for him.

One question: When making the three dupes - do I "Dup Project Only", "Dup Proj and Referenced Events" or "Dup proj and used clips only"?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:38:04 pm

[Matt DeGennaro] "It's going to Pro Tools - and I'm going to give the sound guy a call and see if AIFF is good for him."

It's AAF, not aiff. They are two totally different things. If going to Pro Tools, AAF will work just fine and Automatic Duck supports it.

[Matt DeGennaro] "One question: When making the three dupes - do I "Dup Project Only", "Dup Proj and Referenced Events" or "Dup proj and used clips only"?"

When preparing for OMF, you would use dupe project only.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Matt DeGennaro
on Jan 10, 2012 at 9:58:04 pm

ACK! Complete change of plans

Should have talked to the sound guy first - just found out he prefers WAV or AIF files.
I see these export right from FCP X - sorry to ask even more but I am correct in assuming I export "audio roles only as separate files"? Also:

1. do I have to somehow prep (or name these) beforehand?

2. how do I get this all back into FCP X after the mix?

I really do appreciate your help. I'm learning the hard way, but you are making it a lot easier.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 10, 2012 at 10:29:47 pm

I'd say check again with your sound guy and make absolutely sure what he means - if he's doing it in ProTools and he's any good at all he'll want on OMF or an AAF and not, repeat not, sound files whether AIFF or WAV. If you give him sound files only it will severely compromise the final result.

If he does want sound files then you will need to export using Roles ... but I'd say don't go there. Or else you almost better off mixing it yourself inside FCPX!

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 11, 2012 at 4:28:24 pm

What Simon said.

Do yourself a favor and put a 2 pop in the beginning and end of the timeline.

I can't imagine that they'd want flattened aiff files. AN OMF or AAF while yield better quality results and be much easier for everyone involved.

From audio mix, you'll get a stereo mix back (depending on what you need, maybe you are delivering surround, I don't know) and then you'd also get stems which is all of the different elements separate, like music, VO, FX all on separate tracks.

Most likely, you will simply lay in the final stereo mix. The easiest way to do this would be to dupe your final timeline and detach the audio from all the clips. Select all the audio and disable it. Import the stereo aiff, line up the two pop and playback to ensure sync.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 12, 2012 at 12:00:22 am

An OMF can have separate or embedded media that will be either wav or aif. So your sound guy probably wanted an OMF with wav formatted media. If you can export the OMF with media non embedded the 2 gig limit doesn't apply. I guess the Duck only allows for embedded OMF but check preferences as you might be able to do the whole project in one if it can create the media in a separate folder.

The best thing is to get your sound post people to be very specific. AAF import requires licensing and I for one do not take AAF over OMF as there is no particular advantage apart from file size limitations for me. It is easy to split a project up and maintain correct master timeline placement but beware when deleting that you don't ripple edit as this will move the audio up the timeline and make it a total pain to import.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]