APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials
podcasts

Setting up a cluster in compressor 4 (v2)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Quibell
Setting up a cluster in compressor 4 (v2)
on Jan 10, 2012 at 1:29:43 am

First I know this post topic has been covered and I have an additional question, but I was not sure if I posted my question is that thread it would be bumped for an up to date questions. Please pardon my ignorance of this forum setup.

I have 4 Mac machines all running 10.6; purchased at the same time early 2011 on our office network.
MacPro dual 2.5
2x 27" 2.7 Imac
21" 2.5 iMac .

They all have FCP x and Compressor 4 installed. I am encoding 4 HD videos to standard def to burn onto a DVD..

Here is my workflow.

1. Create 4 MP4 1080p video on VIO-HD
2. Import 4 videos into Toast Titanium
3. Encode and export including MP4 source files to DVD
4. Give to customer, they have the HD footage and SD for regular players

This what I was thinking...

1. Create 4 MP4 1080p video on VIO-HD
2. Import 4 videos into FCP X
3. Export videos from FCP to Mpeg-2, and AIFF via compressor 4
4. Import encoded Mpeg-2 and HD source files into Toast
5. Burn SD DVD and include source files
6. Give to customer

My Question... Is clustering all the computers together worth the effort?

They do not share the same source drives... and I was reading that it's counter productive to setup the cluster on separate computers. I was thinking that the combine cluster of 24 hyper threaded processor it would make up the difference.
Yes no :)

Pain is Temporary - Pride is Forever!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Setting up a cluster in compressor 4 (v2)
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:10:49 am

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

If it takes an hour to copy the media to all the disparate clusters, and then it gets compressed in 10 seconds and takes 15 minute to send back to the original location, is it faster than simply keeping the file where it is, sending it to a single computer with a virtual cluster and compressing in less than 10 minutes?

I don't know long your timeline is, so the times may vary, but you can see where the weak link is here.

Return to posts index

William Quibell
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:20:26 am

the 4 videos are about 30mins of footage, and the VIO uses H.264 compression, so it's usually about 600-700Mb of data. And our customers want there DVD's fast... lol

I did my first attempt tonight, and it seem to be a little faster then Toast doing it. But then I am still trying to figue out the best setup...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2012 at 4:43:14 am

I have never used Toast to compress so I have no idea if it's faster than compressor or not.

Return to posts index

Andy Yoong
on Jan 15, 2012 at 8:33:10 pm

There's not really too much extra effort. In compressor4 under the Qmaster menu select share computer as quick cluster with services. Check the compressor box and change the instances to the maximum allowed.

If the computers are connected over ethernet this should work well. Not so well over WiFi.

Export an original Quicklime movie from FCP and then compress that file with you desired settings. When you submit the job make sure you tick 'this computer plus'

Return to posts index

William Quibell
on Jan 21, 2012 at 3:31:08 pm

So just to confirm... If I have 4 other macs running compressor, and they have all been setup as a Quick Cluster.

Is that all i have to do to share the encoding tasks?

I did a few tests so far, and have not found any of the computer working.... I am not sure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]