APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Blending Modes Do Not Work When Transition is Added

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Hawksworth
Blending Modes Do Not Work When Transition is Added
on Jan 5, 2012 at 6:23:00 pm

I posted this earlier on the Apple support forum, but have gotten no replies. I'm not sure if this is a quirk with FCPX or if I'm doing something wrong. Here's my problem:

I've imported several layers of a PS graphic as individual PNGs, e.g. background.png, layer1.png, layer2.png, etc. The background layer's blending mode is set to Normal, while the others are set as Overlay with various opacities. I'm trying to create a simple graphic build where each layer dissolves on. To begin, I inserted everything in the timeline/storyline. At this point, everything looks great: each layer cuts on at the desired moment and the blending modes seem to be functioning properly. However, when I add a transition to each layer - to have them each fade in - the blending modes seem to malfunction. First, I had to readjust the each layer's opacity to get them to look "right" again. For example, 80% opacity had to be changed to 45% to give the same "look." Then, when I play back the sequence, I get all these funky luminance bumps/spikes at the moment of each transition. If I remove the fades, everything looks great again.

Has anyone encountered this?

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
Re: Blending Modes Do Not Work When Transition is Added
on Jan 5, 2012 at 7:11:59 pm

Not in front of FCPX right now but thinking: have you tried animating the layers opacity insted of applying a fade? Is the result the same?

hope this helps

Patrice Freymond

Editor  Certified Trainer FCP7/X
Post Consultant

Always learning...

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jan 5, 2012 at 7:22:39 pm

Blend modes only work between connected clips. Blend modes don't work between a secondary storyline and the primary storyline. Unfortunately to all transitions to connected clips, they have to be converted to an additional storyline.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Coming in 2012 "Complete Training for FCPX" from Class on Demand
"Final Cut Pro X for iMovie and Final Cut Express Users" from Focal Press

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jan 6, 2012 at 9:02:38 am

Partially correct - blend modes won't work if you convert upper layer to secondary storyline - just leave it as a connected clip. I did find bug using h264 but and blend modes but had no prob with Pro RES and XDCAM 422.

As far as transitions - this was the biggest new feature in 10.01 for me - you no longer have to convert clip to secondary story to add transitions - any upper clip can have whatever transition you like on it and they work work with blend modes.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jan 6, 2012 at 10:07:36 am

This information is incorrect. While you no longer have to manually create a secondary storyline to add transitions to connected clips, a secondary storyline is automatically created and the blend mode applied to the effect clip is lost.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jan 7, 2012 at 10:19:18 pm

You're right about the blend modes being lost on secondary clip. You can use keyframe to fade up/down and not lose blend modes.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Irvine, California

Return to posts index

Rich Hawksworth
on Jan 5, 2012 at 8:10:29 pm

Thanks for the input. Animating the opacity works, Patrice.

Tom, I see what you mean re: connected clips and storylines. I'm just getting up to speed on FCPX, so the storyline behavior is new to me.

Return to posts index

Mikey Bouchereau
on Jan 6, 2012 at 6:00:59 pm

A trick I found that has worked for me if I need to use a transition, is take what ever clips you want to use with a transition (it doesn't matter what type of transition) and create a compound clip with those clips, then add your transitions. (Do not add a transition to nothing, it will create the transition going from black to your clip, put in a slug beforehand [option+w] it inserts a gap) then you can back out of your compound clip and choose a blend mode and your transitions still works.

I created a cheat sheet so you can see how it is supposed to be set up.
FCPX: Compound Clips and Blend Modes

Mikey B!

Follow Me On Twitter!

Download Free Effects/Transitions/Generators for Final Cut Pro X

Check Out My Sky Replace Tutorial

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jan 6, 2012 at 6:29:39 pm

"Do not add a transition to nothing, it will create the transition going from black to your clip,"

That behavior can be changed by right-clicking on the transition.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Mikey Bouchereau
on Jan 6, 2012 at 6:35:45 pm

Wow I never knew this!!

Thanks!

Mikey B!

Follow Me On Twitter!

Download Free Effects/Transitions/Generators for Final Cut Pro X

Check Out My Sky Replace Tutorial