APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCPX has gone mental

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lambert
FCPX has gone mental
on Jan 3, 2012 at 4:42:23 pm

I'm not even sure when to begin.

Nov. Whilst editing a wedding I backed up my project to another drive, whilst exporting the ProRes to encode for dvd my drive crashed. so plugging back in the other drive I went back to my Nov. version which meant another 4days doing the same stuff. I cannot remember if I did this using the correct method of copying in FCPX as it crashes on me so often doing long data transfers I may well have used copy and paste in finder instead.

TODAY
Again putting the final touches a month after I said i'd have it in the post something has gone completely schizo with FCPX I first noticed one clip in my timeline was upside down, showing 1/4 of itself as if someone had grabbed the top right corner, spun it 180 and then put that corner in the centre of the screen.

I decided i'd try a reboot and see if it was just a passing thing. I rebooted to find that now ALL of the work I have been doing for the last 8 hours has been forgotten and it shows the last date anyone played around with the clip as being Dec 30th which I know is not the case as I have used that project file for the last 4 days.

Does anyone have any idea what may have gone wrong? The only possibility I can draw is that through copy and pasting the events as well as using FCPX to organise/duplicate the events folders from one HDD to another something has got confussed. Is the project folder eg. render files, edit, i/o, linked to event folders? And is it possible that my data resides in one of those.

Does anyone have the slightest idea what has gone wrong? I'm practically at my wits end I wanted rid of this project early Dec and now im back to sq.1 in Jan!

Return to posts index

Matthew Celia
Re: FCPX has gone mental
on Jan 3, 2012 at 7:11:04 pm

Sorry to hear about the troubles! Agree that FCPX has some weird quirks and its frustrating because a lot of us are still trying to figure them all out.

Can you give some more details about your setup? What version of Mac OS X are you on? What kind of footage is it (what kind of camera was it shot on)? Anything special about that particular clip? Are you using any special fonts? What kind of drive is it?

----------------
FCP Guru
http://www.fcpguru.com

Return to posts index

Chris Lambert
on Jan 3, 2012 at 7:27:26 pm

Seems my initial fear is not as doom and gloom as i thought after a few more restarts the project re appeared next to a copy with [1] next to it. (this shall promptly be getting duplicated) As far as I can tell the weird glitch with the clip only in the upper right corner appears to be some kind of render glitch as tweaking any effect parameters seems to reset it, unfortunatly this is a 30min ceremony so it'll be another few hours before it finishes rendering.

It was all one clip though from a Sony EX3 rewrapped into .mov and then transcoded into pro res in FCPX. It's my main camera and never seen that happen before.

I'm at a loss as to why there is suddenly so much to re render, my best guess would be i was blading some split clips earlier and have seen many glitches associated with those so perhaps it is best to avoid these until the forthcoming update.

Return to posts index

Matthew Celia
on Jan 3, 2012 at 8:47:30 pm

Try trashing the render files and rerendering - that could help. Also, it might be worth it to copy all the clips and paste them into a new Project.

When I'm having errors, typically I'll open up the Console and watch for when error messages come up. I think FCPX has trouble with certain corrupt clips some times and this can help narrow down what might be corrupting the project.

----------------
FCP Guru
http://www.fcpguru.com

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jan 4, 2012 at 12:35:24 am

Speaking of rendering time. I would also try to delete the render files and then just export without rendering. I've found on my projects that rendering takes about 10x as long compared to just exporting, plus if your trouble is with render files it might resolve it.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Mikey Bouchereau
on Jan 6, 2012 at 2:05:27 am

The issue where your video looks as if it was pulled to the upper left corner, I have seen this when you are working with compressed footage. Usually if you work with HDV it can get kind of funky, it shouldn't but if you add alot of effects or transitions with compressed footage you can have some weird things happen.

If you are working with compressed footage after you trash your render files, I would suggest either transcoding and finish your work using proxies or at least transcode the footage to ProRes422

Mikey B!

Follow Me On Twitter!

Check Out My Sky Replace Tutorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]