APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Free FCPX Effect - "TKY Camera Shake"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Ubsdell
Free FCPX Effect - "TKY Camera Shake"
on Nov 21, 2011 at 7:55:43 pm

Here's a new FCPX effect that simulates camera shake from a subtle hand-held drift (to give a bit of life to a locked off shot) to a massively shaky rollercoaster look, all with appropriate motion blur and framing compensation*.

3296_tkycamerashakeeffect.zip

There are three simple controls: for shake speed (how fast the camera wobbles), shakiness (how randomly it wobbles), and shake distance (how far the camera moves).

* Note that more movement will result in a more cropped picture area - this is automatically compensated for so you don't have to think about it.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: Free FCPX Effect - "TKY Camera Shake"
on Nov 21, 2011 at 11:58:49 pm

Nice! Thanks Simon!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Nov 22, 2011 at 3:45:23 pm

BTW. I copied the effect and turned off motion blur — nice and fast now. I can always swap out the version with motion blur.

I wonder if there is a way to publish the motion blur setting?

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 22, 2011 at 7:47:45 pm

Unfortunately the Motion Blur settings can't be published from Motion - would be far preferable if they could be.

There's a not very nice kluge that can be done by linking directional blurs to the movement offsets but it's not at all convincing so I didn't want to inflict that on anybody.

Oddly, though I have had a few issues with performance in other areas I don't find that motion blur slows me down much in this case but I know others including you have found it troublesome.

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Justin Blaney
on Jan 9, 2012 at 11:40:57 pm

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do you install that plugin? I tried copying it to my plugins folder in library, but it's not appearing. I've also restarted fcp

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jan 10, 2012 at 12:26:35 am

Follow this:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/6210

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Feb 16, 2012 at 11:38:14 pm

you also may use my motion template tool

http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/MTT/index.html

andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index

dave tallarico
on May 13, 2019 at 4:29:51 am

Hello! It's a great effect. I'm wondering if someone would be willing to publish it without the motion blur? I would do it myself but I don't have motion. I realize this is an old thread but if anyone is willing... please help!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 13, 2019 at 7:37:11 am

Here you go - motion blur disabled:

13337_tkycamerashakenomblur.zip.zip

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

dave tallarico
on May 13, 2019 at 7:39:04 am

Thank you very much Simon!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 13, 2019 at 10:37:30 am

So you got me thinking if there was a way to add fake motion blur (in a way that wouldn't incur the hefty overhead of the real motion blur option), and I have quickly put together this version:

13339_tkycamerashakefakemblur.zip.zip

The Motion Blur amount can be adjusted to taste and can of course be keyframed if required.

Hope that helps.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

dave tallarico
on May 13, 2019 at 6:10:27 pm

That does help! I especially like the ability to dial in how much blur is going on, as I'm currently using it for very subtle movement and it really just needs a liiiiittle blur at times. Thanks again for taking the time.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 13, 2019 at 7:53:49 pm

Glad you like it. It's obviously less than perfect since it's only possible to track the left and right motion rather than anything on a diagonal*, but for many purposes that might be enough.

Personally I always favour just a small amount of motion blur rather than huge quantities.

In real life the amount of blur depends on the choice of shutter angle so a certain amount of "stutteriness" is not unacceptable. Have a look at Ridley Scott's Gladiator for an example of an extreme shutter angle that aims to eliminate as much motion blur as possible. It's very striking.

* For that one would need vector information (not achievable with Motion alone) and that starts to slow things down again so it rather defeats the point.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

dave tallarico
on May 13, 2019 at 10:06:47 pm

I'll check that out. I'm currently using not great cameras so anything that lessens how sharp the image quality looks is detrimental. I need to save all the detail I can haha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]