APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

The x264 open source alternative to the H.264 Apple encoder

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gage
The x264 open source alternative to the H.264 Apple encoder
on Nov 15, 2011 at 10:25:35 pm

Since 100% of what I do goes to the web, encoding quality and file size is a big deal to me. My recent tests with the open source x264 QT Component have been pretty impressive--same or better quality of H.264 with almost half the file size. I've used it with QT 7 and Compressor 3.5.3 on exported Pro Res 422 files from FCP X and ScreenFlow 3.

Any way, I'm essentially sharing and/or seeing if anyone has prior experience and any suggestions for preset tweaks.
--

General Info:
http://realworldvideocompression.com/rwvc/2010/5/7/using-x264-plugin-in-com...

Download:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24173/x264encoder
or
http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mycometg3/
("In order to take advantage x264, let's start by installing the plug in. Download the Disc Image and launch it. Copy the file x264encoder.component to YourComputer>Library>QuickTime and restart any open applications that use QuickTime.")

"x264 forms the core of many web video services, such as Youtube, Facebook, Vimeo, and Hulu. It is widely used in television broadcast and by ISPs."

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
Re: The x264 open source alternative to the H.264 Apple encoder
on Nov 16, 2011 at 2:50:23 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting this. I've been using x264 for most of my client deliverables for about a year now and love the quality. So do my clients! Hoping to write up an article with full workflow and settings as soon as I can clear my schedule.

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 16, 2011 at 3:10:43 am

x264 gets high praise over on Reduser all the time.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Nov 16, 2011 at 11:29:43 am

x264 beats more commercial h264 encoders oddly. Apple Compressor (which I'd say is probably the worst of the pack) and Episode (which is reliant on MainConcept to some degree) give far worse results. I can highly recommend this also.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 16, 2011 at 6:11:07 pm

David, Jeremy, and Erik,

Thanks for the replies. With all the success of this encoder I'm surprised I wasn't initially able to find out more about it before I installed it. (Most the of the posts and references to it seemed to center around how to properly install and use with Windows.)

David, if you or someone can put together a comprehensive tutorial of it's use, I think that would be a great boon to the web-video community.
--

A use tip that someone may find handy is that when you go into QT 7 and select "Movie to QuickTime Movie" and then Settings: Compression Type: x264encoder, the default file extension is .MOV. Since I need .MP4 files (or .m4v) for my Flash video player (so I can use an HTML5 fallback for iPhone and iPad users as .MOV files seem oddly not so compatible with Apple mobile devices), I was a bit worried that it wouldn't give me what I needed. But, I did find somewhere on the web that if you type in the .MP4 extension to the file name before hitting "Save", the encoder is smart enough to create that file type. Pretty cool.

Also, I did try some of the Andy Beach tweaks in the "Options..." settings tabs, but ended up just going with the default "Component Default" preset. I did though choose the "use 3rd pass" option on the Behavior tab which hopefully gives a slight increase in the quality. The vast majority of the option choices are above my head, so I essentially just left them alone.

Dave

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:34:04 pm

[Dave Gage] "A use tip that someone may find handy is that when you go into QT 7 and select "Movie to QuickTime Movie" and then Settings: Compression Type: x264encoder, the default file extension is .MOV. Since I need .MP4 files (or .m4v) for my Flash video player "
HndBrake can export x264 as MP4.
the only issue is that doen't import Prores.
You need to convert it first to 10b Unc.
No generation lost but an annoying extra step.

[Dave Gage] " I did though choose the "use 3rd pass" option on the Behavior tab which hopefully gives a slight increase in the quality."
With QT/H264, "Multipass" already means three passes.
Seems that with this component is different.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 19, 2011 at 6:45:38 am

Rafael,

[Rafael Amador] "With QT/H264, "Multipass" already means three passes.
Seems that with this component is different."

I didn't know that. It seems that as much or more emphasis is put on the speed of the x264 conversion as on the ultimate quality. I didn't see much quality difference between the x264 default 2-Pass and the 3-Pass, but even the 3-Pass seems fast enough for me.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]