APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCP Multicam Project plays in Viewer, but won't export.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Hill
FCP Multicam Project plays in Viewer, but won't export.
on Jul 5, 2020 at 7:27:57 pm

I’m new to FCPX, (version 10.1.4), though I’ve edited part-time for over a quarter of a century. I understand now, from reading other posts, that I’m not using the best procedure for working in FCPX.

However, I have an edit which plays perfectly in the viewer, but won’t export in that form.

The show consists primarily of a Med shot, a CU, and a separate audio track, all recorded simultaneously. The video shots used my iPhone and Macbook Pro recording capability, with their funky audio. The Master audio was from a good mic recorded into Soundtrack Pro. I used a hand clap as a slate. I’m also including several photos with the Ken Burns technique.

I activated multi cam editing for synching, but edited by dragging clips around the old fashioned way.

Now I have a Master Track with all the video edits (and the light gray bar multi-track?) behind it, and a second track below with the audio recording. The Med shot, which was placed between them has now been deleted, leaving me with two tracks.

But when I go to share-export, all I get is the Med shot in the quicktime video which FCP generates. PLEASE let me know if there is a work-around for this, so that what I see and hear in the Viewer is what is exported (shared).

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
Re: FCP Multicam Project plays in Viewer, but won't export.
on Jul 7, 2020 at 4:43:08 pm

Why not create Compound clip of your whole project, then export that? You can also open a new project and insert the Compound clip into that project.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Dean Hill
on Jul 7, 2020 at 8:46:12 pm

Greg, your second suggestion about creating a new project and inserting the compound clip into it WORKED. Finally, my long FCP nightmare is over, and I can try to post the video of my song, "Mr. Lincoln", to Youtube and other sites. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 8, 2020 at 7:45:14 pm

Glad I was able to help.

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jul 8, 2020 at 2:05:10 pm

[Dean Hill] "I activated multi cam editing for synching, but edited by dragging clips around the old fashioned way."

Next time you do this in FCPX, below are details of a suggested procedure. I also suggest you upgrade to more recent versions of MacOS and FCPX.

To make the FCPX sync work properly, the clips must be labeled with an angle name or camera name in the Inspector before doing the sync. This isn't that difficult and the entire batch of clips shot by one camera can be named in a single step. In general create multicam clips, not sync clips -- even if you only have a single camera and external audio source. Overall procedure:

1. Before importing anything, put all clips from each camera in a separate uniquely-named named disk folder. E.g, Wide_DVX200, CloseUp_S1H, etc.

2. When importing make sure the FCPX preference>Import>Keywords from folders and Finder tags are set. This will automatically tag the imported clips with the camera name. This is especially important when using similar cameras where you can't tell the shots apart from the filenames.

3. Set Event Browser to List View to better see the clip data. Pick menu View>Browser>Toggle Filmstrip/List View or press OPT+CMD+2.

4. If you determine that time of day is incorrect for certain clips since the operator did not set the camera or recorder clock, the clips will not sort adjacent to each other chronologically. This can complicate picking all clips from a given take to sync in a multicam. This can be fixed and adjusted for all clips from that camera. Select the batch of problem clips and Modify>Adjust Content Created Date and Time.

5. After clip time of day is correct, in the Event Browser, select all clips from a given audio recorder or camera. If the Inspector is not on, use CMD+4 to show it.

6. In the Inspector, click the "i" button to show information about the clip. This will reveal a "Camera Name" edit box at the bottom.

7. Enter a Camera Name for that group of clips and press return. This batch labels all selected clips with that camera name.

8. Repeat for each camera or audio recorder. Note all clips from a given device can be labeled in one step, so this is quick.

9. Select all clips in the Event Browser you wish to sync

10. Right-click and select either "New Multicam Clip" or "Synchronize Clips". Some experienced editors suggest using multicam clips even for single-camera situations: http://www.fcpworks.com/sync-or-multicam-clips/

11. For either multicam or sync clips make sure the checkbox "use audio for synchronization" is checked.

This will create a new multicam or sync clip which is synchronized using audio. You can double-click the multicam clip and open it in the Angle Editor to verify or adjust the sync. If the sync is not correct you can drag the problem clip left/right or use the comma/period keys for single frame adjustment or left and right angle bracket for 10-frame adjustments.

If you later want to add another camera to an existing multicam, click on down arrow next to the angle name at left of the timeline when in the Angle Editor, and select "Add Angle", then drag the new clip from the Event Browser to the new lane on the timeline.

If a clip is synced incorrectly you can selectively re-sync that one clip within the multicam. In the Angle Editor, click down arrow next to the angle name for the master audio you wish to sync to, and select "Set Monitoring Angle". Then select the clip which is synced wrong, and on that lane's name select the down arrow and pick "Sync Selection to Monitoring Angle". Only that one clip will be re-synced.

Likewise if you forget to add a clip to the multicam during the initial sync, it's not necessary to rebuild the multicam. Just drag/drop the additional clip to the proper angle in the Angle Editor, then use the above procedure to sync that one clip within the multicam.

After the multicam is created, do not simply dump that on a timeline. Use FCPX favorites, rejects and keywords on the MC clip to tag it curate the content. Have the Angle Viewer enabled when doing this -- SHIFT+CMD+7. Ideally mark all the individual "parent" clips comprising the multicam as "rejected" and run the browser filter with "hide rejected". This will help prevent accidentally adding a single-cam clip to the timeline which would later require manual frame matching with the multicam clip.

"Sync and adjust camera angles": https://support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/sync-and-adjust-camera-angles...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]