APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Transform animation doesn't work as expected in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lukasz Olczyk
Transform animation doesn't work as expected in FCPX
on Jun 27, 2020 at 1:20:32 pm

Hi guys, I'm new here so bear with me if this has been discussed before.

I have compiled a little vacation video:

vimeo.com/350963538?utm_source=email&utm...2HEC34RiZ9JOFGCCv_Hc
If you look between 0:04 and 0:29, I tried to animate several different clips to create a gradually building video wall. However, as you can see the effect is far from perfect. Ideally the clips should resize and move together as if glued. They got the same keyframes and the values are correct. But they don't seem to be animated at the same speed or at an even speed and also for some reason for example when one of the clips is supposed to move only along the X axis, it does go down a little on the Y axis during its animation. It does end at the desired place as defined by the keyframe but the road it takes to get there is... unpredictable. Why does FCPX keep doing that? I am confused. When I establish two keyframes, on one the position of the clip is X 2880, Y 0 ands on the next one: X 960, Y - still 0. But between those two keyframes FCPX somehow at some points animates the clip down to -30 on the Y axis. And it doesn't look pretty. Like I told you, the clip ends in the set location by the next keyframe but I don't like the way it moves... Any ideas why the editor is doing that? Premiere can do it beautifully, US$30 LumaFusion on an iPad can do it beautifully, heck probably even iMovie can do it properly. Why not FCPX???

Return to posts index

Terry Barnum
Re: Transform animation doesn't work as expected in FCPX
on Jun 28, 2020 at 2:21:25 am

I think we'd need to see some detailed screenshots to help diagnose. Is all the footage from the same camera? If not, are all the frame sizes exactly the same?

-Terry

Return to posts index

Lukasz Olczyk
on Jun 28, 2020 at 7:13:36 am

No they’re not. The sequence where clips are actually animated has 4 drone shots, one video camera clip and one iphone clip. Frame rates may be different among them. But they’re all 4K so same size. Plus it shouldn’t matter. All the other editors I mentioned so the job perfectly with those same clips

Return to posts index

Kasey Gay
on Jul 1, 2020 at 1:25:25 pm

In my experience, you aren't going to get great results for this kind of thing inside of FCPX.

FCPX does some stuff well but it also wants to "help" on a lot of things and make decisions for you. It's really designed for cutting up and rearranging clips, and when you get into more complex transforms and movements, you're gonna experience a world of frustration.

This kind of stuff is better suited to Motion where you can control the exact paths and the speed at which things move.

Other people may have more insight to share, but this has been my experience. Final Cut just wants to do all kind of "helpful" stuff when you start animating things. ;)

Return to posts index

Lukasz Olczyk
on Jul 2, 2020 at 9:31:50 am

Haha fair enough. This being Apple, I can totally believe what you're saying. It is a great piece of software but I guess it comes with its own limitations and Adobe it ain't.

Return to posts index

Kasey Gay
on Jul 2, 2020 at 2:21:07 pm

Timely.
You might go watch Jesse driftwoods new video.
He was highlighting a fcpx plugin that actually did some impressive stuff with moving items around in final cut.

It’s a fifty dollar plugin called add motion that looks really promising.

Return to posts index

Lukasz Olczyk
on Jul 2, 2020 at 6:20:56 pm

Thanks! It sounds cool but seeing as it’s exactly the same price as Motion, which probably can do more, I’d probably put my money there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]