APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Best FCP settings for slo-mo footage (for commercial)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenneth Sutton
Best FCP settings for slo-mo footage (for commercial)
on Jun 21, 2020 at 12:17:04 am

I've been commissioned to shoot a cosmetics commercial for a friend's new upstart where we will promote a new skin cream. Most likely we will shoot on a beach or nice clear backyard and have model walking around in slo-mo looking oh so dreamy holding our product. My current gear is a Rebel T6 with 50mm and FCP 7 software on a MacBook Pro (I know its a legacy FCP but no one ever answers the questions on the legacy forum and FCP X probably has similar setting to FCP7). Anyway I looked online for some good slo mo examples and it seems that shooting at 60fps and then slowing it down in FCP is the way to go or at least a start

I went ahead and shot some test footage in slo-mo and slowed it down 45% in FCP. I have it linked below. It looks okay but seems to lack that smooth silky of some more professional commercials (links to some examples below as well). Is this the best I can do or do I need to change some settings (fps, ISO, aperture, FCP sequence settings, etc?) to maximize the slo-mo to nail or get close to the kind you see in the commercials below? Any tips from more experienced videographers would be appreciated; thanks!

Test slo-mo footage:

Ideal slo-mo footage look:
1. https://www.facebook.com/44409632681/posts/10157846585262682?
2. https://www.facebook.com/215138065124/posts/10163433006475125/?vh=e&d=n

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Best FCP settings for slo-mo footage (for commercial)
on Jun 21, 2020 at 2:20:36 am

Here's an idea if you're still in love with seven; do this stuff in Apple Motion, fifty bucks, one time and you own it. Or, try the free version of DaVinci Resolve, which will also be able to do things to your footage seven can't. I don't think Seven had optical flow, for example. If it did, it was primitive.

What shutter are you using on your DSLR footage? What frame rate? The best slowmo is IMO obtained by first shooting at the highest frame rate you can manage. This gives the NLE more frames to do the interpolation on. I seem to recall you also want to pick a speed that's a whole number.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Sutton
on Jun 22, 2020 at 3:15:43 am

I already have Motion on my computer, albeit v 4.03. Is that current enough? 1/120 shutter, since that's twice of 60 fps.

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Jun 22, 2020 at 11:12:33 am

Hi folks,

the more frames per seconds you shoot, the better slomo you get out. Another plus is the shutter.
The more shutter you use the better it is, but you loose the light capability of the camera.
The editing software is secondary. I would shoot at least with 120fs, 1/250 shutter and a proper lighting, plus a large camera sensor (Super35). Varicam for example.

cheers

Rainer

factstory
Rainer Wirth
phone_0049-177-2156086
Mac pro 8core
Adobe,FCP,Avid
several raid systems

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jun 25, 2020 at 9:17:51 pm

there is no substitute for shoot more frames per second. Get a black magic 4k or 6 k and shoot 120 or a Red raven FS7 . I said black magic because its probably more in line with your budget if you are shooting with a Canon still camera.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 25, 2020 at 10:17:31 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Jun 25, 2020 at 10:18:43 pm

While it is smart to suggest what optimal equipment for a job is, It is unrealistic, and might be de-motivating, to tell Ken to "just buy stuff"/ "Just rent stuff" he might not be able to afford. If that was a practical option for a guy like Ken, he'd have already bought a tricked-out Red or BlackMagic or ARRI, and not wasted his time posting. He's still editing in Seven, for goodness' sake.

We live in a world where we don't always get to have access to the best/perfect tool, and then what's needed is advice on making the most of what is available. If I sound cranky, I don't mean to, and this is not a knock on your advice or you personally. But I live in a world of what is, not what is ideal, and "Simply Buy the expensive solution" is not generally an answer that does me any good for my problems. I never get that option, so I have to improvise around what I can access.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]