APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Firewire i.LINK 1394 to Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Xavier Paredes
Firewire i.LINK 1394 to Mac Pro
on Jun 2, 2020 at 6:31:56 pm

Dear Colleagues,

I need to ingest old MiniDV tapes. I have a SONY DSR-1500A DVCAM deck which has a Firewire i.LINK port in the back.

Unfortunately, my Mac Pro (2013 cylinder) only has USB and Thunderbolt.

What would be the most inexpensive way to send video data to my Mac Pro?

I see there are a few Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapters out there but they are all FW 800, not FW400.

Thanks for any tips!

Xavier

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
Re: Firewire i.LINK 1394 to Mac Pro
on Jun 2, 2020 at 8:43:45 pm

It's not pretty, but I remember having some success running a combination 400->800->TB. Certainly not permanent.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jun 3, 2020 at 10:10:32 pm

I do this all the time . TB to FW 800 then there are 800 to 400 cables which still can be found in case you need that mini FW 400 connector to connect to either a camera or a DSR machine. A visual summation of the scheme.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jun 3, 2020 at 10:19:30 pm

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 4, 2020 at 1:43:42 am

Hey, I have the same cables, but it's in storage now.
No more FW decks in my home.

Return to posts index

Xavier Paredes
on Jun 4, 2020 at 3:31:39 am

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to even post a picture.

Xavier

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jun 5, 2020 at 2:20:57 pm

It took me a while to find that FW800 to FW400 cable and its way too long for the situation, but I bought it anyway just to squash the need for another adapter in the chain. If you check around you still might be able to find that cable- i’ve long since lost the link to the place I bought it .

Return to posts index

Andrew Prendergast
on Jun 5, 2020 at 9:37:20 am

I too have been trying to import edited DV tapes into FCPX Pro and also had to use an unwieldy number of cables. I achieved success in that, yes, I could import. However I have hit a serious problem. My edited tape is broken up into its individual shots though it keeps the edited sound with it. Somehow these individual shots have kept a record of when they were first recorded and appear in my browser in that order. Reasembling them is an entire new jigsaw like edit as the sound needs to match up. I have FCP7 on an old computer, where this was never a problem, and am going to have to dig it out to try and get round this problem and import edited programmes as a whole. Have you hit this problem and have you found a workaround? My Googling suggested the problem was down to time code breaks or dodgy tapes. My problem does not appear to agree with that.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 5, 2020 at 4:43:06 pm

[Andrew Prendergast] "My Googling suggested the problem was down to time code breaks or dodgy tapes. "

Maybe not helpful but I use brute force dub to dub when I have issues like that.
I would dump from one deck to another.
We have an XDCAM deck here that I've managed to dump a ton of minDV/DV too.

Now, of course, the last time I did that was 2012 :(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]