APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Prores Raw & Keying - noise

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pat kelley
Prores Raw & Keying - noise
on Apr 12, 2020 at 8:11:40 pm

Hello,
I had thought that Prores Raw would be an improvement for keying over regular Prores and especially in-camera AVCHD, but it's turned out to be the opposite. When I bring 4K prores raw green screen footage into FCP, remove the raw-to-log conversion and the LUT, and perform a basic color correction with color wheels to bring the whites down into range, the Key is noisy and essentially un-keyable.

I'm shooting on a Sony FS5II, recording the Prores raw on an Atomos Shogun Inferno to get the prores Raw footage while also recording AVC hd to the camera's card. Using the standard recommendations for over-exposure, over-exposing to the just at the point before whites begin to clip.

The paired AVC HD footage keys well with way less noise. The seamless screen is lit very evenly and has always worked great with footage other than Prores Raw.

I'm including screen shots from a test, showing the noise and an attempt to improve it with a selective hue/sat curve adjustment

Initial color wheels correction to raw footage
Key added
Key - Matte view
Hue/Sat curve to improve green
New Key, still noisy
Matte View of new key, better view of noise

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Prores Raw & Keying - noise
on Apr 13, 2020 at 9:03:29 pm

Have you tried a different keyer? The FCPX keyer often yields blocky results in my experience.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Geoff Addis
on Apr 14, 2020 at 3:08:48 pm

Have you applied de-noise prior to keying? When importing RAW you loose the in camera noise reduction hence the need to apply de-noise in FCPX.

Return to posts index

pat kelley
on Apr 15, 2020 at 1:38:08 pm

Thanks. Ironically the FCP denoiser can't deal with the noise in prores raw, it makes horrible edges for keys no matter what the setting. Denoising with Neat Video appears to be the solution.

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
on Apr 20, 2020 at 3:25:53 pm

I've a GREAT luck with Hawaiki Keyer. Lots of tools to fix tough shots.

Also, have you tried color correcting before the keyer?

Return to posts index

Mike Fitzsimmons
on Apr 20, 2020 at 3:27:20 pm

By CC, I mean pulling a secondary on the green and correcting it to be easier to work with.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]