APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

FCPX Closed Captions 2020

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Bennett
FCPX Closed Captions 2020
on Mar 13, 2020 at 3:56:55 am

I'm using Rev.com to create my closed captions. I downloaded the .srt file in added it my project. So how do I render out my .mp4 file to allow the view to access the CC?

What am I missing? I don't see where Rev allows me to download a CEA-608 or iTT file. ???

Help?

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: FCPX Closed Captions 2020
on Mar 13, 2020 at 12:37:13 pm

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Mar 13, 2020 at 5:00:23 pm

If I select to export the .srt file as a separate file in my Share process, I will end up with two files; my video file and the .srt file.

I have to deliver this CC project not only to Vimeo but to DVD, BD and broadcast TV. What DVD/BD authoring software supports CC? What do I deliver to the TV studio for CC broadcast?

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 13, 2020 at 5:07:13 pm

The station should have a document somewhere on their site or sent to you with the exact specs for that but typically you would deliver a video file and a "sidecar file" with the timed captions that the station will integrate on their end.

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Mar 13, 2020 at 11:19:58 pm

Thank you. That takes care of broadcast. Now I still need a DVD/BD authoring software that supports CC.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 14, 2020 at 7:09:28 pm

I've some of this lately. I take REV's .srt file and convert it to .scc using one of a couple of different apps. This is then imported into FCPX and edited/formatted as needed. Export a ProRes master with embedded captions.

Then use Compressor to create .mp4 files with embedded code. The only thing is that I can't remember if we did .mp4 or others. I know we did a ton of different formats - usually variations of program stream and transport stream MPEG2s. You should also be able to export .mov files with H.264 compression that will be the same as your .mp4.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters - oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Mar 14, 2020 at 7:43:33 pm

So you are saying the SRT or SCC file actually gets embedded in FCPX when you export to ProRes then take that into Compressor. And you only end up with 1 file to create your DVD/BD discs from. About right?

What are your exact steps when you're ready to export/share/render out the project?

Thanks.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 14, 2020 at 8:04:36 pm

[Ken Bennett] "So you are saying the SRT or SCC file actually gets embedded in FCPX when you export to ProRes then take that into Compressor. And you only end up with 1 file to create your DVD/BD discs from. About right?"

Yes, however, I didn't create DVD or BD discs. These were files for broadcast and streaming. I'm not sure about DVD, because the standards are a bit different.

Once you have captions in the FCPX project, you have export options in the share menu to either embed captions (if the format supports it) or as a separate sidecar file. You can do this in both FCPX and Premiere Pro, however, each recognize a slightly different set of compatible formats.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Mar 25, 2020 at 1:25:48 am

In FCPX there are only 2 options for captions, burn them into the video or save as a separate file. There is no embed SRT into the MOV video file. What am I missing here?

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 25, 2020 at 1:36:24 am

[Ken Bennett] "There is no embed SRT into the MOV video file. What am I missing here?"

You can embed captions on export. You may have to convert the SRT into SCC before importing into FCPX. I presume you are trying to build the captions into an FCPX timeline. Staring by importing an existing caption file. Correct?

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Mar 25, 2020 at 2:12:20 am

My captions were created by Rev.com and I have both .SRT and .CSS files I can use. The .SRT file is currently in the projects timeline.

When I try to Export the embed captions with Embed CEA-608, there are no options available. It says NONE and is ghosted.

Should I try again using the .CSS file?

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 25, 2020 at 12:16:26 pm

[Ken Bennett] "Should I try again using the .CSS file?"

I would recommend that you convert the SRT into SCC. There is App Store software which can do this. Or there are some other resources. I use Closed Caption Converter. Then import that into FCPX. This has the additional advantage that it enables more of the FCPX caption formatting options.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 25, 2020 at 2:24:13 pm

Remember that when you add captions, you aren't simply adding text to the timeline that is then converted into captioning upon output. Closed captioning is a separate data track in the file (or as a separate file). When you import one format or another, it retains the attributes and limitations of that format inside of FCPX or any other NLE. This affects embedding, too.

- Oliver

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 25, 2020 at 4:30:14 pm

You don't need 3rd party app, just duplicate the srt caption and apply an scc role to it in FCP.

Big question though is whether it makes sense to create ssc at all.
It really depends on the DVD/Bluray app which should use the subtitles and the way it will embed the subtitle stream to make it compatible with players.

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Mar 25, 2020 at 4:58:56 pm

I already have both an SRT file and an SCC file created that I can import into my FCPX project. Are you saying I just need to import the SCC file I will be able to Export it out as an embedded file and it will appear as an option in the "Embed CEA-608" dropdown menu, I'll be good to go? Go where?

Do I need to take my MOV or MP4 file into a DVD/BD authoring software that supports captions/subtitles? Does the authoring software need to do anything to the embedded SCC file to make it active on the DVD/BD? Or will my usual DVD/BD software be able to produce a single ISO file that I burn to disc and the viewer will have access to turn on or off CC?

If I do need an authoring DVD/BD software that DOES support, who has it? I can't find any yet. The old DVD Studio Pro could do it but that doesn't even work in Mojave. Adobe Encore CS6 says they do but it doesn't work. All DVDs, Blu-rays and 4K disc released for retail sales have to have CC. So there has to be software out there that can do it.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Mar 25, 2020 at 5:08:12 pm

Best choice these times is to use a service to create a DVD/Bluray for commercial use.

A simple free alternative for DVD: https://www.dvdstyler.org/en/

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Mar 14, 2020 at 8:02:41 pm

Do I need a DVD/BD authoring software program that supports CC? What do you recommend? I need to create menus and scene selections.

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]