APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Slow Motion Music Video Sync

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonah Pierson
Slow Motion Music Video Sync
on Mar 1, 2020 at 10:45:14 pm

I know this is probably a very common inquiry that's been talked about time after time, but I might as well talk about my situation just to get the best specific feedback.

I'm looking to synchronize camera and character movement to the rhythm of a song, but in slow motion (obviously). I’m using the Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro (G1) to record the video with an off screen frame rate of 120 fps with a project frame rate of 23.98 fps. The project frame rate in Final Cut will still be 23.98 fps.

In Final Cut, what percentage should I speed the song up to (to listen to in the live performance) for accurate slow motion rhythm alignment back in post when the song is played back regularly?

- Extra Tech Specs -

Codec: Blackmagic RAW, Constant Quality (Q0) - The only reason I’m shooting this way is because BRAW is the only codec that allows for 120 fps. I later export it through DaVinci Resolve into a format and codec Final Cut can process.

Music Sample Rate: 44.1 Khz

Return to posts index

Terry Barnum
Re: Slow Motion Music Video Sync
on Mar 2, 2020 at 6:55:31 pm

I've not done this before but wouldn't it depend on how slow you want the slow motion? 5 x 23.976 = 119.88 which is pretty close to 120 fps, but a 5x speedup in the live performance playback seems like it would be pretty extreme. My guess would be to decide on a slow-mo speed then figure out what multiple could work in 120.

The first slow-mo music video I remember was The Police's Wrapped Around Your Finger directed by Godley and Creme.

They ran everything at 2x speed so finished video was slowed down to half-speed. http://www.thepolicewiki.org/Police_wiki/index.php?title=Wrapped_Around_You...

-Terry

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Mar 2, 2020 at 7:17:56 pm

Looks like there are some useful tips from people who have done this here: https://cinematography.com/index.php?/topic/68759-slow-motion-syncing-in-mu...

Definitely a widely used technique in music videos, but it looks like the formula is 120 divided by 23.976, which works out to just over 5x. That's probably going to be really challenging for the singer.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Mar 2, 2020 at 7:23:06 pm

I really do think 120fps is going to be hard unless this is a very slow song.

One note about playback: in the thread I linked to above, the guy who has done this mentioned that playback changes the pitch but that's easily avoided. Most DAWs will allow you to change playback speed independent of pitch, and even the free audio editor Audacity has this feature. If you're playing back from a smartphone rather than a laptop, there are apps that can do this as well; the one I use on iOS is called Anytune Pro+, but I'm sure there are others.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]