APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Consolidate FCPX project for colourist

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mathew Farrell
Consolidate FCPX project for colourist
on Feb 26, 2020 at 1:51:32 am

Hi all,

I'm coaching a novice editor on how to package up her FCPX project for me to grade in Resolve. In short, I'm happy to receive her FCPX project file and make my own XML. My biggest fear is that I won't receive all the clips, or at least won't have them linked correctly - I simply don't trust that she'll have them all packaged nicely on an external drive ready to go.

FCPX's Consolidate Media functions sounds like just the ticket, but I've never used it myself. It sounds like it's more used to move all of the used media into the pre-specified library storage location, rather than packaging everything for hand-off.

If I understand it correctly, she could set the library storage location to an external drive, run Consolidate Media, then clone that drive (ensuring a copy of the FCPX project file, or at least and XML are also present) and mail it of. Does that workflow sound correct? Has anyone got a better workflow suggestion? Noting that I want to be working from original camera media, not a bladed up ProRES if I can help it.

Does Consolidate Media do anything with clips that are in the library but not the timeline (don't try and make me bow to Apple's messed up terminology. It's a friggen timeline)?

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Consolidate FCPX project for colourist
on Feb 26, 2020 at 3:21:48 pm

If set up properly, you should not have any issues opening an FCPX XML in Resolve.
If you are using any Sync options, break them up in the "timeline" 😉
Try doing that with a full feature (painful) :P
Avoid Compound Clips. I know it works but if you can avoid it, I would.
After Consolidate, check the Library storage used.
Make sure that everything is in that one drive.
I have no idea how big your project is but I've done this many times with 24+TB size monsters.
Not fun :(

Return to posts index

Mathew Farrell
on Mar 2, 2020 at 6:07:55 am

Much obliged Eric.

I've opened a bunch of FCPXMLs in Resolve too - the format/process is robust enough, especially if you avoid compound clips, like you say.

What I'm really interested is what the Consolidate function actually does--what I'm hoping it does is copy all of the used media to the specified location. It looks like it might actually move all of that media (if said media isn't already in the location), which could make a mess for the editor's file system.

I've never had need to use Consolidate, because I've always been given a duplicate of the rushes drive(s) that had "all" of the material (except for that one song and those logos we downloaded and weren't quite sure where they were...).

This particular job went away due to lack of budget (I probably dodged a bullet) - but it was an example of where I really didn't trust the editor to have her act (and files) together, so was looking for a simple way to get it packaged up.

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 2, 2020 at 2:32:04 pm

[Mathew Farrell] " It looks like it might actually move all of that media (if said media isn't already in the location), which could make a mess for the editor's file system."

Agreed it does make a mess if you are directing it to another app.
If you were staying in the FCPX eco then it should be fine.

[Mathew Farrell] "This particular job went away due to lack of budget (I probably dodged a bullet) - but it was an example of where I really didn't trust the editor to have her act (and files) together, so was looking for a simple way to get it packaged up."

Yea I've had the pleasure of working on a lot of those kinds :P
I lost a ton of money on some but gained experience.....bittersweet of course LOL!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]