APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

forgot to format

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonny Cates
forgot to format
on Feb 20, 2020 at 3:41:28 am

I been working on (2) projects since December. Finished one project recently, but now when I go back to the 1st project to open it back up, it now says it doesn't recognize the format--and won't open at all!
As a matter of fact, none of my FCP Libraries will open on this drive anymore. I've never seen this. I have a feeling it's because I forgot to format this external drive before I imported footage.
What can I do to save this footage? It's a complete ballet and I don't have it backed up unfortunately.
Disc utility says that it can't unmount the volume to repair it.

Is there a utility that could fix or save my files? Or could I just get another external and copy the FCP Libraries to the new one after I format the drive?

thanks

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: forgot to format
on Feb 20, 2020 at 12:09:03 pm

[Jonny Cates] "I been working on (2) projects since December. Finished one project recently, but now when I go back to the 1st project to open it back up, it now says it doesn't recognize the format"

Is it possible you were using multiple versions of FCPX and you somehow opened those "older" libraries using a newer version than you're now running? If they were initially a truly older library it would upgrade them but you can't open a newer library from an older version of FCPX - except between 10.4.7 and 10.4.8 where no library changes were made.

You can check the library version from Finder by right-click>Show package contents, then use "quick look" (ie the space bar) on the file CurrentVersion.plist. Inside that file will be the library version.

Once you do that, state the library version and what version of FCPX you are running. Also please state the disk format of that drive, whether ExFAT, HFS+ or whatever.

If it still doesn't work state the exact syntax of the error message.

Return to posts index

Jonny Cates
on Feb 20, 2020 at 9:26:41 pm

Joe,
Thanks for the reply. No, there could not be any possibility of older libraries as you mentioned.
I'm running FCP 10.2.2 on a mac book pro. I created 3 libraries back in December and have been editing on these projects off and on for the last few weeks. Finished one project just fine. But now none of these libraries will open at all, after being opened and closed multiple times. They are all on the same 2 TB external, in which was NOT formatted before I started all this. My fault on that part.

This is the message I get when I try and open one of these libraries:

The file "CurrentVersion.flexolibrary" couldn't be opened because it isn't in the correct format.
(The file might be corrupted, truncated, or in an unexpected format.)

At this point I desperately need to save these files. The video files have to be there because the "get info" on that 2TB drive says there's 1.22 still available.
Disc utility can't fix this because it can't unmount the volume of course. I don't have Tech Tool or anything else at this point. Question: Can I just get another external, format it it Journaled and then clone the drive? Or will it clone the same problem?

Thanks again....getting a little panicky right now.

Jonny Cates

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Feb 20, 2020 at 11:27:03 pm

What happens if you right-click on one of the libraries (control-click if you have a one-button mouse) and choose "Show Package Contents?" Do you see folders there? One of them should be called Original Media. If you can get into that folder you should be able to retrieve your media files even if the library is corrupted.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Feb 21, 2020 at 2:29:27 pm

[Brad Hurley] "If you can get into that folder you should be able to retrieve your media files even if the library is corrupted."

^^^ This.

Some people have reported that opening the library bundle and deleting CurrentVersion.flexolibrary fixed it. Instead of deleting it, I recommend *moving* it outside the library so you can put it back if needed. However before you do anything like that you ideally want the library backed up at a file level.

If it is a managed library with all internal media unfortunately you can't easily duplicate it for backup because it's likely too large. However automatic backup versions of the library should be in /Movies/Final Cut Backups/LibraryName. Those are trimmed-down libraries without external media.

First make a file-level backup of all those backup libraries - they are small. You could try to open one of the backup libraries. When opened by the new version of FCPX, it will try to upgrade them. That's why you want a file backup of them. It might be necessary to dig up an old version of FCPX and try to open the old libraries with that, which is impossible after they are upgraded.

If you have a file-level backup via Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner, or anything else, take steps to safeguard those in case they're needed.

BTW in all FCPX upgrade situations, save a copy of the old Final Cut Pro.app file bundle. Just rename it. Also save a copy of your library backups from /Movies/Final Cut Backups. That will allow reverting back in case the new version has some issue.

These situations illustrate the benefit of using only "lean libraries", ie media and cache kept only outside the library. That way it's easy to duplicate for backup at a file level.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Feb 21, 2020 at 2:39:29 pm

"These situations illustrate the benefit of using only "lean libraries", ie media and cache kept only outside the library. That way it's easy to duplicate for backup at a file level."

Totally agree. I keep multiple backups of my original media, but my working copies are on a RAID 5 (which I back up, since RAID is not a backup) and I don't copy media into the library. I have another set of media backups kept offsite, and then for long-term offsite archiving I will be using Amazon Glacier.

I hope your tips work for the original poster!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]