APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Best way to backup 3 hard drives to 1 hard drive?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
Best way to backup 3 hard drives to 1 hard drive?
on Feb 19, 2020 at 6:55:41 am

I have an old film project I worked on that I had backed up to 3 different drives for space reasons. 7 years later, I'm backing things up and I can fit everything on a 6 TB drive!

So, whats the best way to do this? Should I make a disc image as a backup for each drive? I want the ability to potentially edit with the stuff later, so should I partition the new drive into 3?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Best way to backup 3 hard drives to 1 hard drive?
on Feb 19, 2020 at 3:32:31 pm

What kind of files/projects?
I am assuming this FCPX Library since you are asking here?
Are you updated to latest FCPX?
If you are planning to move projects you can just copy the Libraries.
Now, of course, other things to consider:
Did you use proxies?
Did you copy original files to Library?
Do you have backups of all assets?

So many things to consider.
If this is just basic folders then just drag and drop.
Now if you are worried about losing connections, I've had to format a single drive to a few mounts and used the name of the original drives so that I don't lose dynamic links to certain projects.

Again so many things to consider.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Feb 22, 2020 at 8:44:41 pm

So, it's a FCP7 project. I havent touched it in years and it's entirely possible if I do, it'll be in FCP X.

If I move it and put all the files on the new drive, I'll need to relink everything which I could do but I worry about how that would work in FCP X, like maybe it's a host of changes that would make opening the project in a new system difficult.

Thoughts on that? I guess I could just bring in everything and if I need to relink, I can do that. I just worry ill have problems since everything will need to be relinked.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 1, 2020 at 4:42:37 pm

I do this all the time. I have to keep permanent archives for my organization. So periodically I'm retiring old drives and transferring contents onto new drives. When I do this I try to combine as many as possible on one drive. It's more cost effective, and reduces the volume of drives I need to keep around (otherwise I'd be at around 60 hard drives).

By far, for me, the best way to do this is to use sparse bundles. This allows you to make drive images with the same name, and thus you will not have to relink footage or redo media management libraries. It all just works the same as when you had separate drives.

Return to posts index

Morten Carlsen
on Mar 11, 2020 at 9:20:16 am

You could use an app like carbon copy cloner and set up a simple rule which will automatically backup and clone those three drives to any destination you choose.

I have 6 drives each 1 TB SSD which are, daily, being backed up to one big spinning disk drive like this. All automated with CCC.

Pro Color Monitor - Get Your Color Balance Right
Get it on the AppStore Today->

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/pro-color-monitor/id1495383011?l=en&mt=12

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]