APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Seamless jump cuts?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Butler
Seamless jump cuts?
on Feb 15, 2020 at 11:07:53 pm

I recently joined and posted in final cut pro, i have another question but don’t know proper forum ....... how to do seamless jump cuts? I do solo instrumental music vids of some complication, and as a practical matter find it nearly impossible to do an entire 3-4 minute perfect performance of classical music. Thus, i do it even several segments, stopping at a musical point where i freeze my position on guitar. Then resume the next segment starting as precise as possible where i ended up in prior segment, ie. Ending with a held chord and right hand where fingers are paused.

As the eye detects the cut no matter how precise the position is, i Wondered if there is morphing type software on any editing program that attempts to transition the images that could make it invisible?

For now i try and mask it by using 2 cameras at different angles and edit the footage with pans so that only one hand of guitar is shown at end of first segment and a different hand starting on second segment. Does shooting at higher frames per second help? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
Re: Seamless jump cuts?
on Feb 16, 2020 at 12:43:43 am

Try this: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/final-cut-pro/ver46d0179ac/mac

Known as "flow" in Final Cut Pro X, "Morph Cut" in Premiere, and "Smooth Cut" in DaVinci Resolve. It uses Optical Flow to merge jump cuts. Sometimes it works really well, sometimes it doesn't; you can experiment with the length of the transition to get the best result. Note that Optical Flow is processor-intensive and you should have background rendering turned on if you want to watch the result play back at full speed.

Return to posts index

Ray Butler
on Feb 16, 2020 at 1:29:00 am

Thank you . Which software do you think will work the best for the specific use with gtr hand motion in your opinion? Ray

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Feb 16, 2020 at 10:53:37 am

"Thank you . Which software do you think will work the best for the specific use with gtr hand motion in your opinion? Ray"

Your approach of using two cameras and cutting to the other view is a common way of dealing with jump cuts; another way of course is to use B-roll but I guess that's not an option if you're trying to depict a seamless performance.

Do you have Final Cut already, and if so have you tried the "Flow" transition? I noticed after I posted my reply above that it's effectively not adjustable in Final Cut (I mostly use Resolve, and its "Smooth Cut" transition is adjustable in terms of length). Final Cut uses a duration of six frames.

You might as well just experiment with it in Final Cut. For variety you could use Flow in the cases where it works and use your current method of cutting to another camera view when it doesn't.

Return to posts index

Ray Butler
on Feb 17, 2020 at 11:05:43 pm

Brad, thanks for your continued help with my attempt to seamlessly edit involving musical instruments.
at this point i have little knowledge or Final cut and dont own it( until i determine it this is the best software ), my knowledge is limited to interacting a person who does the editing in final cut for me. but i want to learn it myself.
there was link (which i cant find now) that i believe appeared from FCP.co site, which had a demo of an editor effectively making it really seamless ( a guy outside talking about olive trees) which i cant seem to find now here or on their site.?
I was not clear what is meant by try using Resolve with its smooth cut feature. is this part of final cut? or do i have to buy both final cut and another program when the Flow doesnt do the job in Finalcut?

Do you do editing or teaching that i could possibly engage your service or someone you know to try out some vid clips i have ,to see how well it works and the specific parameters that work best. ? as i mentioned, i am essentially stopping the first segment of a song in a freeze position ( a musical marker point where there is a pause anyway with a sustained chord), and then starting as close to this freeze position in the second segment.
thank you Ray Butler NJ

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Feb 17, 2020 at 11:21:59 pm

Hi Ray,

Sorry if my response was confusing: "Resolve" refers to a different program, DaVinci Resolve, it's another NLE (non-linear editor) like Final Cut, Premiere, Vegas, AVID, and others.

You could download the free version of Resolve from Blackmagic Design's website, import just two clips (one on either side of your jump cut) and apply the "Smooth Cut" transition to see how it looks. That would be the cheapest way to experiment, although depending on your computer it might not work very well (DaVinci Resolve is very GPU-hungry and doesn't work very well on most laptops unless they have a powerful GPU).

You'd probably find Final Cut easier to use. If someone is currently doing editing for you in Final Cut, why don't you ask him or her to try applying the "Flow" transition to one of those jump cuts and see how it looks?

As far as I know, all NLEs use this same optical flow technique to "morph" a jump cut. None of them can perform miracles; I've had good luck with it in some situations and not so good luck in others. I filmed an event last year where one of my interviewees had a bad stutter; he was demonstrating something while talking so I couldn't just cut out the stutters and put b-roll over the jump cuts. In most cases the sections I cut out were a bit too long for optical flow to do its magic and the result wasn't great.

In your case, although your jump cuts are actually being created by different takes, it might work. I would first ask the person who's doing your editing for you. You could compare with DaVinci Resolve by downloading the free version as I mentioned above.

If you want to post links to clips here, any of us on the forum could try applying those transitions to see how they work. Others here might have other suggestions to offer too!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 18, 2020 at 4:09:58 pm

I got the free/low-cost versions of Morph Cut for my FCPX system before the final cut x upgrade that now has the same kind of effect for free. I think you can still buy Morph Cut for FCPX though and it works great if the overall motion in a frame is minimal. Fingers flying on a fretboard or plucking strings is always going to make for a challenge.

As to your music editing issues, I recommend in future shooting in 4k with a goal of making the master in 2k; this lets you take a wider shot and turn parts of it into tighter ones by digitally scaling up in post. What this does for a musician editing a live performance is, the look of multiple cameras from just one shot, with NO need to re-synch audio. That also sets up a cut-away so when you do have to add in a new take for a new section, the cut looks smooth and intentional.

Return to posts index

Ray Butler
on Feb 18, 2020 at 7:26:58 pm

thanks Mark this sounds promising. i dont know what is involved cost wise in shooting in 4K.. i am currently just using ipad cameras at 1080 and using an interface device called IRIG, where my mic chord next to classical guitar, goes into the Irig, the out of irig goes into lighting port of the ipad video camera.. this way music and vid are perfectly synched. Ray

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 18, 2020 at 10:16:50 pm

There are go pro knock-offs out there in the fifty to seventy dollar range that shoot in 4k. The pro cinematographers here will scoff but I have three of these and find them useful in shooting my uke band videos in the way I described, "punching -in" to tighter, re-framed shots from a master wide shot. If you don't zoom in more than about 20 percent the effect is quite useable.

The brand I bought is called iconntech, I think. Includes built-in screen and bluetooth link for watching and controlling remotely from your iPad. I mount mine on a spare light stand or cheap consumer tripod, I skip using bluetooth to extend battery life. Battery run record time is just under two hours, though for extended sessions I use one of those 12-foot- long USB extension cords they sell at the gas station to power the camera from a USB wall wart, or you can attach an external USB phone battery bank to it. I have 126 GB micro SD cards in mine. Great affordable b-roll complement to your "A" camera.

Return to posts index

Ray Butler
on Feb 18, 2020 at 7:30:02 pm

thank you again. i will have my vid editor try it. and possibly post some clips if we can't make it work well.Ray

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]