APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Forgot to turn off camera OIS stabiliser for tripod pan, fix in FCPX?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sam evans
Forgot to turn off camera OIS stabiliser for tripod pan, fix in FCPX?
on Feb 12, 2020 at 11:17:12 pm
Last Edited By sam evans on Feb 12, 2020 at 11:19:21 pm

As the title describes... only I was using a Crane2 gimbal for the pan, there's now the obvious judder as my lens/body stabiliser tries to correct the horizontal motion.
I've done the usual inertiacam in FCPX, cranking it up to 3, but it's still not ideal.
Anything else I can do, or am I doomed to using a sub-par clip that 90% of the audience won't notice but will still make me lose sleep?

Here it is as a master file export
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EMc_KSw7V0KVakQUG3xX2q-zYchCWRGr/view?usp=...

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
Re: Forgot to turn off camera OIS stabiliser for tripod pan, fix in FCPX?
on Feb 12, 2020 at 11:52:57 pm

The stabilization in FCPX isn't great, at least in my experience. I've heard good things about the Lock and Load plugin, but it's $100, which might not be worth it for one clip. A free solution would be to download the free version of DaVinci Resolve, which has a very good stabilizer on the color page, and run that clip through it.

Resolve is a very GPU-hungry NLE; if you're using a MacBook Pro or older Mac Mini you might have trouble and you might not get real-time playback. But you could try running that clip through the stabilizer in Resolve, render the clip in Resolve as a Prores HQ file, and bring it back into Final Cut and replace the clip in your timeline.

Return to posts index

sam evans
on Feb 13, 2020 at 12:07:04 am

Thanks, I'll give the free Resolve a try. I'm on a 2018 MBP that was specced out for it's time so presume it should hold up.

UPDATE: it's a 120fps clip in a 24p project, set to "floor" rate conform... I tried the others but that looks the best of a bad bunch

Return to posts index

Harlan Rumjahn
on Feb 13, 2020 at 2:08:42 am

That's a great idea to use Davinci Resolve. Its stabilizer works well once you understand the settings and engage in trial and error with those settings. There are great tutorials online for it.

Another idea is to do it manually using Blender, which is also a free program. If you're not already familiar with it, then you're in for a treat. There are tutorials online for using Blender to stabilize shaky footage too.

Good luck, and don't stress over that one clip that 90% of people won't even notice! I know how it can be, though :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]