APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

new audio file not aligning with existing project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ojan Nik
new audio file not aligning with existing project
on Feb 1, 2020 at 10:17:04 am

So we are producing a music video in FCP, synchronizing multiple clips with an audio file. After several days of work, we are pretty much done, but I just received the mastered version of the song.

We thought we would easily be able to replace the audio file we had been using in the timeline with the mastered version, since they line up perfectly with each other. To our dismay, when we dragged it into the project, there was slight latency, or a delay, which increased gradually over the course of the song. In fact, if we drag in a copy of the same audio file we used to make the video, it won’t line up with the project.

The audio files have the standard 44kHz sample rate, while the sample rate in FCP is set to 48kHz. Changing it to 44kHz at this point doesn’t help.

Is there any way to get the new file to line up with the project? Otherwise we will have to start from scratch. Any insight or guidance on this subject will be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: new audio file not aligning with existing project
on Feb 3, 2020 at 6:54:26 pm

When you say sync you mean placing the clips in the timeline with the 44KHz audio correct?
If the project is 48KHz just get the Master and have it converted to 48KHz.
Do that in the DAW not FCPX.

Return to posts index

Terry Barnum
on Feb 3, 2020 at 10:00:31 pm

You could use something like the free Audacity to do the sample rate conversion from 44.1kHz to 48kHz. Tracks->Resample...

-Terry

Return to posts index

Ojan Nik
on Feb 3, 2020 at 10:43:22 pm

Excellent, thank you to you both for your replies.

Eric, yes that’s what I mean... I requested a 48k file from the mastering engineer and it’s on its way.

I didn’t want to take the risk, however unlikely it may be, of compromising any audio quality by running it through another program to convert it.

Return to posts index

Ojan Nik
on Feb 4, 2020 at 3:08:35 am

So we slipped in the 48K audio file, and unfortunately, it’s still not lining up with the project.
What would you say is the next course of action?
Thanks Eric and Terry.

Return to posts index

Ojan Nik
on Feb 4, 2020 at 6:56:50 am

Here's a screenshot to give you a visual of what the project looks like...

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Feb 4, 2020 at 11:22:26 am

Does this previous thread shed any light?

https://forums.creativecow.net/docs/forums/post.php?forumid=344&postid=5292...

Return to posts index

Ojan Nik
on Feb 4, 2020 at 11:36:07 am

For sure. That thread has good insight on the issue and a couple of tips that I can try right off the bat. I'll get on it asap and report back. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Ojan Nik
on Feb 5, 2020 at 9:01:27 am

Hey, Brad. The problem is solved. We replaced the audio with the 44.1k master, and then used the audio from the video for synchronization, and it lined up just right. The thread you linked me to helped to solve it, and it's much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]