APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Delete Grey Position Block

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Dutton
Delete Grey Position Block
on Jan 16, 2020 at 10:17:28 am

Hi

I am pretty new to FCPX so learning as I go along. I watched a tutorial on fulltime filmmaker and he was going through every clip he had taken and ones he liked he moved above to show which to keep. He was using Premiere Pro, which I now know is different to how you arrange the clips.

I have done this on all of my clips, and now realising that it probably would have made sense to put the ones I do not want above the main timeline as I could delete these a lot easier.

I now have a timeline that looks like this:

I am wanting to basically delete these grey boxes so the clips above could then take its place, but of course, when I do this, it deletes the clips connected to it.

Is there an easy way to do this instead of going over all the clips and manually moving each back into the grey area?

The clips I am not using which are currently on the main timeline I would like to put maybe right at the end of the project, so, if I decide I may want to use a clip I can go and look back at the ones I had originally dismissed, would that be easier to just copy those into another project?

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
Re: Delete Grey Position Block
on Jan 16, 2020 at 12:06:30 pm

You can select any clips you want to move back to the gap clip beneath them and hit option-command-down arrow to move them back into the primary storyline. You can do this with multiple clips by command-clicking them or (if they are contiguous) shift-clicking them.

However, I want to note that the workflow you're using is inefficient and you're basically trying to shoehorn a traditional track-based editing approach into Final Cut Pro X. You've created a stringout of all your clips and you're making the selects in the timeline. There's a better way.

I strongly urge you to spend the time (and money) to take the Final Cut Pro X Core Training tutorial from Ripple Training. It's the best one out there that I'm aware of, and the investment you make in watching that tutorial (and following along with the actual footage, which is key; just watching the tutorial without following along on your computer isn't enough) will save you hundreds of hours of frustration and inefficiency in the years ahead.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jan 16, 2020 at 12:30:44 pm

Just following up with a few more details on workflow:

There's nothing inherently wrong with creating a stringout and doing selects in the timeline; lots of people like to work that way. But the more efficient workflow in FCPX is to spend more time prepping your footage (eliminating rejects, marking favorites, assigning keywords, assigning audio roles) before you ever drop anything into the storyline. If I had two weeks to edit a project, I'd probably spend the first week getting everything prepped before I drop a single clip into the timeline.

The beauty of this approach is that once all your favorites are selected and your audio roles assigned, editing happens "at the speed of thought." You can settle into the creative flow of telling your story, without the distraction of having to set track destination controls (imagine a film with multiple characters and every time you edit a clip into the timeline you have to set the track destination controls to ensure the audio lands in that character's track) or disabling tracks to avoid collisions. Everything is set up beforehand so you can focus on telling the story. It's more work up front, but it pays off once you get to the stage of doing the first assembly and subsequent editing.

Return to posts index

Chris Dutton
on Jan 17, 2020 at 11:27:34 am

Hi, thanks for this. I use to use Premiere Pro so I guess I am just learning the differences between them both. I will take a look at that course. Thanks

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Jan 16, 2020 at 12:50:32 pm

[Chris Dutton] "he was going through every clip he had taken and ones he liked he moved above to show which to keep. He was using Premiere Pro, which I now know is different to how you arrange the clips..."

With FCPX do not do this. You organize "to keep" material in the Event Browser - before touching a timeline. Get in the habit of doing that and things will work much faster. See the tutorial FCPX Warp Speed Organizing:

[Chris Dutton] "....I have done this on all of my clips....I am wanting to basically delete these grey boxes so the clips above could then take its place, but of course, when I do this, it deletes the clips connected to it....Is there an easy way to do this instead of going over all the clips and manually moving each back into the grey area?

OPT+CMD+down arrow will overwrite the selected clip(s) to the primary storyline. You can lasso to select all the connected clips, then drop them to the primary storyline in a single step. You can also go the opposite direction - OPT+CMD+up arrow will lift a clip from the primary storyline, leaving a gap clip in its place.

[Chris Dutton] ".The clips I am not using which are currently on the main timeline I would like to put maybe right at the end of the project, so, if I decide I may want to use a clip I can go and look back at the ones I had originally dismissed, would that be easier to just copy those into another project?"

The easiest thing (and how FCPX is designed) is use the range-based rating and keywording while in the Event Browser to mark those - before adding them to a timeline. However they are already in the timeline so the question is what to do now.

FCPX is not designed to have multiple open timelines, copying clips between them, so don't do that.

You you several options:

- Just move the clips to the end of the timeline or stack them up as connected clips, as frequently done in track-oriented NLEs.

- Lasso/select all the clips in the primary storyline you want to save, then create a compound clip of those with OPT+G. That will become a single skimmable clip in the Event Browser. At least that allows using FCPX as intended, marking ranges and bringing those down to the timeline.

- Create a snapshot duplicate of your timeline. Then create a Used Media Range smart collection. This shows used media in the currently-opened timeline. You can see those as orange stripes if you have View>Browser>Used Media Ranges enabled. Select that smart collection, then keyword the clip ranges. This will include all your timeline clips for later easy retrieval, not just those you want to save for later. But at least it marks them in the Event Browser for later use. After that switch back to your normal timeline and those keyworded clips will remain keyworded, even after you overwrite them in the primary storyline.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 16, 2020 at 3:46:57 pm

Regarding string-outs, versus the preferred method of pre-prep of assets... when I cut news in FCPX, I never have this luxury. Just isn't any time to do it "clean" like that. So my workflow sort of regresses, you could call it, I guess.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Jan 16, 2020 at 3:57:51 pm

DaVinci Resolve's new Cut page has a stringout function built in, which is convenient for reviewing all your footage in one go.

The preferred metadata-based workflow of smart collections and favorites isn't unique to Final Cut, nor is it mandatory of course. I use the same smart collections approach and "favorites" in DaVinci Resolve and it's almost as fast and just as effective: when you create keywords, Resolve automatically creates smart bins for them (the equivalent of smart collections), and you can pretty much duplicate Final Cut's "favorites" functionality by setting in-and-out points on any clip, hitting option-b to create a subclip (you can have multiple subclips per clip, just as you can have multiple favorites in Final Cut), and then setting up smart bins to filter the subclips. All subclips in Resolve automatically have "subclip" added to the clip name, so it's a cinch to find them and create smart bins that collect all your subclips by keyword or other attributes (e.g., all subclips from a particular camera or camera angle).

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Jan 16, 2020 at 8:40:03 pm

As others have pointed out, you've sort of backed yourself into a corner with FCPX by approaching things the way you have. The number one bit of advice for anyone new to the app is to be careful about following non-fcpx tutorials. A lot of approaches, like that one, depend on tracks, which fcpx doesn't have.

The FCPX equivalent of that tutorial would be to scrub through your clips in the browser window, mark in/out points and make favourites. Then just show favourites in the browser and you're in pretty much the same place and ready to start editing.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Chris Dutton
on Jan 17, 2020 at 11:33:58 am

Thank you all for your comments. I will take a look at your suggestions and see how I get on. I have just been watching the Brandon Li tutorial and he does it in a different way to how I was.

He creates stringouts for each day/section that relates and does this with each with shots he likes instead of dumping all in a stringout, then, he creates a scene by only choosing the final ones. Then kind of piecing together a smaller movie within each to get clips together in places to get some sort of editing process or idea of the final cut when moving these to the master.

I did look at going over each clip and marking In and Out and then adding to the timeline, but it felt quicker and easier to just dump all clips on the timeline and do this, but now finding this was not the best way once you get into it. I expected to just to be able to delete the bottom row and then hey presto!! but, this obviously does not work.

Thanks again and I will look at the tutorials mentioned. I am sure overtime I will get a workflow which is fast and efficient, as I am new to this it is all a learning curve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]