APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Clip and timecode confusion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant Peacock
Clip and timecode confusion
on Jan 15, 2020 at 12:50:28 am

I have just finished a 2-cam shoot, C300's, cameras with sync'd timecode as event started, both powered continuously throughout the event. After cloning card contents to laptop, and then importing to Final Cut 10.4.6, every effort at generating a multicam clip causes bizarre results. (using audio or timecode as the basis of the generator doesn't improve things)

Looking further, I discovered that sequential clips out of 1 camera have timecode that doesn't match the order of progression :

AA0134 - 20:22:40 - 20:51:03
AA0135 - 20:30:11 - 20:40:33

These are confirmed as being from the same camera (easily determined, as the two shots were quite distinct from each other). How could this happen? I am going with the assumption that there is some type of data corruption that would make this possible, and so will start over tomorrow. But I am curious....

I did intentionally break each shot every 30 mins, for just a few frames, in order to make file management a bit easier. (2 hour event)

Grant Peacock
Washington DC
GPI TV LLC

ENG and Cine-style
Cameras and Crews

http://www.gpi.tv

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: Clip and timecode confusion
on Jan 15, 2020 at 10:14:44 am

[Grant Peacock] "then importing to Final Cut 10.4.6, every effort at generating a multicam clip causes bizarre results. (using audio or timecode as the basis of the generator doesn't improve things)"

Before creating the multicam clip, make sure all material from each camera is labeled with a camera name or angle name in the inspector "info" tab. Select all clips from one camera then enter a name; repeat for the other. Then try sync by audio.

If you aren't sure which clips came from each camera, during import they can be automatically keyworded if you named the offload folders something unlike. E.g, C300HouseLeft, C300HouseRight, etc. That streamlines selecting them and labeling material from multiple cameras with similar codecs or filename conventions. Use FCPX Preferences>Import>"Keywords from folders".

Return to posts index

Grant Peacock
Re: Clip and timecode confusion
on Jan 15, 2020 at 7:56:01 pm

Thanks Joe. Yes, I'm aware of the importance of assigning something that allows clips to be recognized, and sorted into the correct angle - in this case I have used 'Camera Name' populating this field with 'Side Camera' and 'CU Camera'. All clips checked, and all looks good via the Inspector window.

I think the next step will be to re-import to FCP, but skip over the normal cloning step - instead just doing a direct import/transcode from the CF cards to the FCPX library. I'll post some results when I have them in. Thanks again.

Grant Peacock
Washington DC
GPI TV LLC

ENG and Cine-style
Cameras and Crews

http://www.gpi.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]