APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Exporting 1080p Source Video as 4k? (Bitrate limitations and mp4 export quality)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erich Yeung
Exporting 1080p Source Video as 4k? (Bitrate limitations and mp4 export quality)
on Jan 8, 2020 at 11:26:58 pm

Hey guys, so I have a bit of a dilemma, very new to this so sorry for the ignorance. I have a MP4 1080p source video that is at 60 mbps for bitrate and I'm editing it in FCPX. The issue is the max settings I can export it at right now for MP4 h.264 results in a 20 mbps bitrate file. If I use compressor the max for mp4 h.264 is still 30mbps. I've read online that this is more than fine for uploading to youtube, however if I upload the raw clip at 60mbps bitrate and compare it to the exported 30 mbps FCPX one, the quality is far superior for the higher bitrate raw clip. I know I can achieve a higher bitrate via other codecs such as ProRes but I prefer MP4 for more general compatibility and ease of use. So how can I export an MP4 that has a higher bitrate than 30mbps (The raw file itself is MP4 with 60mbps so I just want to export my edited video with the same settings as the original source material).

Now I know that apparently 4k exports on FCPX cap the bitrate at 50mbps. Is this worth doing in order to bypass the bitrate cap? And if so would it result in a better video? Or would it look worse considering 4k is about 4 times bigger than 1080. Or would it look exactly the same as the 1080p version, but now with 50mbps bitrate?

Sorry for the mess of questions. Let me know if you can help :)!

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Exporting 1080p Source Video as 4k? (Bitrate limitations and mp4 export quality)
on Jan 9, 2020 at 12:28:34 am

It's probably easier to export the file as ProRes then use a different encoder to get the higher bitrate. Haven't got it here to look but Handbrake should let you go to 60mbs and from memory, Resolve defaults to 80mbs for its mp4 encodes.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]