APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X Creative Community Conversations FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Workflow suggestion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
Workflow suggestion
on Dec 30, 2019 at 5:29:57 pm

Hi All,

Happy New Year! I need some advice. I'm working on a video project for a client, and I need to insert some b-roll. The client has provided me with a long (30 minute) documentary with some good B-roll shots that I can use and insert into my project.

What I'd like to be able to do is find all of the useable shots, title them with keywords, and save them as individual clips in my browser. How would you go about doing this?

Thanks so much for your help!

Greg Ball, President
Ball Media Innovations, Inc.
https://www.ballmediainnovations.com

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Workflow suggestion
on Dec 30, 2019 at 6:29:29 pm

What you really need are subclips, but they don't exist in FCPX. So you're left with 2 options, and a caveat. Favorites or Keywords.

First option - You could watch the 30 minute doc and mark Ins and Outs on the broll shots you like and hit F to mark each on as a favorite. Then you just show favorites and will present your favorites as individual shots. Kind of like subclips.

Here's where the caveat comes in - if you mark on favorite that goes (for example) from 01:00 to 02:00, then the next favorite starts at 02:01 and goes to 03:00, because the end of the first favorite and the beginning of the second favorite are consecutive frames in the clip, it will present the favorite as one clip going from 01:00 to 03:00 seconds. So you won't have 2 discrete favorites when you show favorites - you will have 1 discrete favorite, because the favorites either overlap or end/begin with consecutive frames. There is no getting around this using favorites.

Second option is to use Keywords. So you could assign a generic keyword like BRoll to your In/Out points to mark a good clip, then when you click the keyword collection for BRoll you will see all of your marked keywords as discrete clips. But again, if the beginning of one marked keyword is the frame directly after the end frame of another keyword (or if the markings overlap in any way), it will present itself as just one clip, just like with favorites.

To get around this limitation - you can assign a different keyword to each broll clip you mark, or maybe picking 3 or 4 keywords and assign them in a rotating order so you never assign the same keyword twice in a row, thus avoiding FPCX combining keywords into one long clip if there are overlapping/consecutive frames. So you could have BRoll1, BRoll2, Broll3, etc... After you do all this you could create a smart collection that shows you all your BRoll keywords, thereby putting them all into one view as discrete clips.

If FCPX had actual subclips this wouldn't be a problem, but that's not an option for now so you need to use some workarounds.

Let me know if what I've written makes sense or if you need any clarification.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 30, 2019 at 7:46:32 pm

You can also create a CC for each and title them as you wish.
Old school way :)

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Dec 30, 2019 at 10:21:19 pm

For stuff like this I generally use favorites and then change the favorite designation to something more meaningful that reflects the shot content. The selected range still exists and acts as a favorite, so if you search for favorites, you get your list of favorites but you’ve changed the name from ‘Favorite’ to ‘low altitude drone shot’ so if you are working in list view you have something to indicate shot content. Another step is to select clip sections between favorites, reject them, then hide rejected clips which hides all the dross and leaves you with just the chunks you like.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 31, 2019 at 5:54:41 pm

I cheat and use an external application to cut up such a master and export individual clips, which I then bringing FCPX. (MPEG Streamclip still works on my workstation, but this could also be done with quicktime....) But another way to do something similar, is to blade the selections, highlight them, then export only the highlighted clips. You can name them on export.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Dec 31, 2019 at 6:10:50 pm

I have a heap of digitized tape from an archival project and I used to use Andreas Kiehl’s little utility to fool X into thinking the digitized files was a camera archive and then in X you could import/ select chunks in the import window as you would from a camera files and just import those. Sadly the utility no longer works with Mojave...
But we’re drifting here a bit. I don’t really miss subclipping in X, Fav’ing, renaming fave and hiding. Rejects works for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]