APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Flickering light in slow motion?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Nidler
Flickering light in slow motion?
on Dec 3, 2019 at 4:27:32 pm

One quick question ...

I was about to shoot a video but when I slowed down the footage there was flickering lights. Is that something that I can manipulate with FCPX or do I have to change the light source?

Thank you ☺

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: Flickering light in slow motion?
on Dec 3, 2019 at 4:38:17 pm

You could try a deflicker plugin. Quick google search showed this as a possible option:

https://www.yourseedmedia.com/seed-de-flicker

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Philip Nidler
on Dec 3, 2019 at 9:09:54 pm

Thank you so much!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Dec 3, 2019 at 6:24:44 pm

You need to change the light source, change the shutter speed on your camera, or fix it in post. Three are various flicker fixing plugins available although none of the good ones are cheap.

I usually do my grading and finishing in Resolve and that has a pretty good de-flicker plugin but for working purely writhin FCPX, seed De Flicker looks good and I've used Digital Anarchy's Deflicker plugin in the past to great effect.

----
Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer & Cinematographer
Hobart, Tasmania | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 3, 2019 at 7:56:31 pm

If the deflicker don't work, there is a neat trick I have to dig up.
I think I did it in Premiere where you duplicate the track and set the above to OVerlay.
Then move the clip one frame back or forward.
whatever works I think.
Now I've only had this issue with a short form live music video.
They had some old school lights that didn't mix with my RED.

Return to posts index

Brad Hurley
on Dec 4, 2019 at 11:16:30 am

Note that NeatVideo also has deflicker capabilities now. It's worth getting for the noise reduction (which is more sophisticated than the NR built into Final Cut) and the deflicker is a bonus.

I change shutter angle from 180 to 178.2 when shooting indoors in 50hz countries (e.g., Europe) to avoid flicker; I never thought I'd need to do that in North America until I shot a concert lit with stage lights set up by the soundman...it all had terrible flicker. Resolve's deflicker removed it just fine but it's a very processor-intensive operation and I though my computer was going to launch into outer space during rendering, the fan was running so loud.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 4, 2019 at 5:14:29 pm

[Brad Hurley] "Resolve's deflicker removed it just fine but it's a very processor-intensive operation and I though my computer was going to launch into outer space during rendering, the fan was running so loud."

Thus why I would do mine in layers with the one frame offset/overlay.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]