APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Why does certain clips get attached other clips?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Nidler
Why does certain clips get attached other clips?
on Dec 1, 2019 at 9:43:42 am

Hi!

Something that really bothers me is when certain clips get attached to other clips.
For example when I want to move around the audio file the clip above gets attached and moves with it. How so? And how do I disable it?

Thank you very much!

/Philip

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: Why does certain clips get attached other clips?
on Dec 1, 2019 at 11:05:31 am

OPT+CMD+click on the connected clip or the grey border of a connected storyline to change the connection point. See this article under "Adjust the connection point of a connected clip": https://support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/connect-clips-ver7a77ef9e/mac

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 2, 2019 at 3:34:06 am

Everything is attached to the spine, the primary storyline. If you want to move some audio that's in the primary and clips are attached and you want them to stay put you can hold the tilde key to temporarily override clip connections.

The bigger question should possibly be if your audio is your spine or not. Generally it would be the clips that control the timing of your piece. The soundbites, the VO, on camera host. Stuff that generally if you were to move it, you would want the connected clips to also move with it because they are connected to the very relevant spot in the vo, soundbite, etc. that they should appear and be synced with. Obviously lots of projects don't work out this way, but that's the idea it's based on.

Return to posts index

Philip Nidler
on Dec 2, 2019 at 4:38:01 pm

Thank you very much for your response! However, How do I find the Tilde key? I have a macbook pro 13'' (2019). I cant find it? :/

Return to posts index

Mark Landman
on Dec 3, 2019 at 3:08:24 pm

I don't have a 2019 MBP, but on my 13" MPB the tilde key is the left-most key on the second row from the top - just below the ESC key and just above the TAB key.

Mark Landman
PM Productions
Champaign, IL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]