APPLE FINAL CUT PRO: Apple Final Cut Pro X FCPX Debates FCP Legacy FCP Tutorials

Missing camera/missing file problem?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniela Ventura
Missing camera/missing file problem?
on Nov 7, 2019 at 3:17:43 pm

Hello! This is my first question on here because my college professor recommended this forum to me. I'm in a video production class and my prof gave me a hard drive with a bunch of footage for me to analyze and keyword. We imported it in FCP and it seemed to be okay. When I went to work on it and I opened fcp, ALL the interview clips that I had to keyword where saying 'missing camera' or 'missing file.' All the other clips where fine! Just the ones I needed where unavailable. I asked another professor if he could help me but he said he had never seen something like this.
I re-imported the footage and it came back. I worked on it for a day, but when I came back to continue my work it happened again! Even the clips I had keyworded showed the same thing. Now I don't know what to do because apparently relinking/relocating files or reimporting them doesn't work.
Can anyone help me?

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
Re: Missing camera/missing file problem?
on Nov 7, 2019 at 7:17:07 pm
Last Edited By Joe Marler on Nov 7, 2019 at 7:20:57 pm

[Daniela Ventura] "my prof gave me a hard drive with a bunch of footage for me to analyze and keyword. We imported it in FCP and it seemed to be okay. When I went to work on it and I opened fcp, ALL the interview clips that I had to keyword where saying 'missing camera' or 'missing file.' "

Can you verify the version of FCPX and macOS?

When you import media it can be with "copy to library" or "leave files in place". That's in FCPX preferences. Also if using the import dialog (vs drag/drop from Finder) you can decide each time.

If the media was copied within the library, it's very rare to have missing clips. If it was imported with "leave files in place", those files must always remain available. E.g, if you imported from a portable hard drive he gave you, then later the hard drive was disconnected, they will show as red missing clips.

If the media is on a portable or external drive, make sure that is connected. Also that should ideally be formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled (aka HFS+), or APFS, not NTFS or ExFAT. Macs can read NTFS and can read/write ExFAT but FCPX tends to work better with HFS+ or APFS formatted drives.

If external media is on an APFS or HFS+ drive, by using "inode lookup" FCPX can find the material even if the files are moved to another folder and filenames changed.

Your title says "missing camera". There is a separate problem whereby media is imported from a camera card and the import interrupted. This produces the error ""referencing media on the camera".

Ben Halsall discusses that in this video:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]